Rocker cover colour

Certainly in March 54 the cover was black and I feel certain all 2's had a black rocker cover. Mine has had a later block fitted (probably when the cam ran the block as there were basically no cam bearings in the original block) but still has the low port head fitted etc. The rocker cover appeared to be original in what I would call a satin black but the problem being it might be a gloss that had dulled over 50+ years. I am sure somebody will come up with the definitive answer.

Nigel (with TS952)

Edited by Nigel Lay
Certainly in March 54 the cover was black and I feel certain all 2's had a black rocker cover. Mine has had a later block fitted (probably when the cam ran the block as there were basically no cam bearings in the original block) but still has the low port head fitted etc. The rocker cover appeared to be original in what I would call a satin black but the problem being it might be a gloss that had dulled over 50+ years. I am sure somebody will come up with the definitive answer.

Nigel (with TS952)

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your help,

Regards

Billy.

Hi Billy,

To the best of my memory of my original 1955 TR2 at 8 years old when I brought it, the aircleaners, rocker cover and oil breather were all sprayed with satin black engine paint, tending to be more towards glossy than matte. The rocker cover had a transfer giving tappet clearances in white, and the oil breather had a transfer with the correct engine oils, also in white.

Regards,

Viv.

Guest colinTR2
Hi Billy,

To the best of my memory of my original 1955 TR2 at 8 years old when I brought it, the aircleaners, rocker cover and oil breather were all sprayed with satin black engine paint, tending to be more towards glossy than matte. The rocker cover had a transfer giving tappet clearances in white, and the oil breather had a transfer with the correct engine oils, also in white.

Regards,

Viv.

Viv

The transfer with tappet clearances sounds interesting, I have not seen anything like this on 2s in Europe.

Being a bit of an originality freak does anyone know if these are available?

cheers

Colin

Hi Billy,

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Viv, thanks for that, i reckon it must be the original cover on mine then, its satin black, and has the transfers you describe,

Hope your well,

Billy.

Billy, from the books in my possession it seems the rocker cover was painted black until engine TS18230E in 1957,certainly for the UK market. The photos of the cars in the same books look to me to show a satin finish. As always I'm sure Viv's previous response wil be spot on.

Billy, from the books in my possession it seems the rocker cover was painted black until engine TS18230E in 1957,certainly for the UK market. The photos of the cars in the same books look to me to show a satin finish. As always I'm sure Viv's previous response wil be spot on.

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the info, yes it seems mine is exactly how Viv describes it, the cap also has tiny little transfers on it, i`ve only just bought the car last week, so checking out all the finer details,Only 3 owners from new apparantly,

Regards

Billy.

wow 3 owners from new you lucky man

why dont u ask allan peatfield he has a great tr2 pink he knows everything about rockercovers in fact he even knows what metal they are made from

if you decide to paint them black ask one of your mates to do it for you, it wont take them long

have u sold that tr3 tow bar yet !!!!! regards kel