clutch slave cyl touching spin-on oil filter

On trying to replace the clutch slave cylinder (bought from trshop) i have hit a "snag" the bleed nipple is tight up against the oil filter(spin-on) therefore stopping me from tightening the two fixing bolts (before anyone asks......i have the slave cyl on the gearbox side ,slid through bracket) if turned through 180 degrees i cannot attach the flexible pipe, yes i am aware the bleed nipple should on top. i have seen on other posts that there is two type of spin-on filters... long and short ,would this solve my issue? and what dimensions are different between the two?

the old slave cyl was spaced out. i guess for this reason.

Regards.

PM

On trying to replace the clutch slave cylinder (bought from trshop) i have hit a "snag" the bleed nipple is tight up against the oil filter(spin-on) therefore stopping me from tightening the two fixing bolts (before anyone asks......i have the slave cyl on the gearbox side ,slid through bracket) if turned through 180 degrees i cannot attach the flexible pipe, yes i am aware the bleed nipple should on top. i have seen on other posts that there is two type of spin-on filters... long and short ,would this solve my issue? and what dimensions are different between the two?

Regards.

PM

I think you will find that the adapter needs to be rotated slightly so that the bottom of the filter clears the slave cylinder. The filters I use are not especially long but they would still foul on the bleed valve if I didnt orient the bottom of the filter away from it and towards the front. It doesnt take much rotation to achieve this, just back of the bolt that attached the adapter to the block and push the filter away and then re-tighten the adapter. Hopefully none of the PI hardware will get in the way..

Stan

Regards.

PM

PM,

Have you tried angling the canister forward a few degrees from horizontal. Havent got my car to hand to check the angle but is definately

angled forwards, whch gives me clearance. The packing washers you had could of been for this but could of also been for another

reason.

Loosen the nut slightly on spin on and angle it, should give you clearance.

Cheers

Guy

I think you will find that the adapter needs to be rotated slightly so that the bottom of the filter clears the slave cylinder. The filters I use are not especially long but they would still foul on the bleed valve if I didnt orient the bottom of the filter away from it and towards the front. It doesnt take much rotation to achieve this, just back of the bolt that attached the adapter to the block and push the filter away and then re-tighten the adapter. Hopefully none of the PI hardware will get in the way..

Stan

Many thanks gents for your swift replies................what a great forum as usual, will try Monday morning.

PM.

Just fitted a spin on kit, the filter needs to be between 7 and 8 o,clock looking at the side of the engine, you should have access to slave and PI bits etc with clearance all around.

Alan

Many thanks Alan for your Advice ................what a great forum, will try Monday morning.

PM.

Regards.

PM

Just a thought, but have you fitted the clutch slave cylinder on correctly. I fitted mine originally and had the same problem. The slave cylinder should be fitted from the gearbox side and passed through the mounting hole so that the bolt flanges take the pressure and not the bolts. There is a lot more clearance this way.

Cheers

Tony