Starting problems

Hi i am new here and only owned my tr since last new and i am after a bit of advice

I recently fitted a new bosh fuel pump from Rimmer Bros and since then i have been having alot of trouble starting the car from cold but will start fine when warmed up.

When car does start it is very lumppy and cuts out and once warmed up it idles to high apx 1500rpm

I have removed the fuel cut off switch/impact switch due to it being badly corroded inside and the new pump not running all the time

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas what this could be wether to much/not enough fuel or just coincedence

any help would be great thanks

Hi Snaps,

First I'd check that when you removed the cut out switch, you did not disconnect or loosen the fuel enrichment system( "choke") cold start cable at the metering distributer.

Then I, check the filters, relief valve setting,rubber fuel lines to the new pump and the electrical connections to the primer pump -assuming that they may have got fouled or disturbed during the new pump installation.Is the new pump power cabling is adequate?-see previous threads.

Regards,

Edited by Mike C
I recently fitted a new bosh fuel pump from Rimmer Bros and since then i have been having alot of trouble starting the car from cold but will start fine when warmed up.

When car does start it is very lumppy and cuts out and once warmed up it idles to high apx 1500rpm

Hello and welcome.

New pump... so better pressure than before ?..... I'd check the fuel pressure and prv setting, sounds like it may be overfueling. How's the spark plug colour?

Ivor

Hi i am new here and only owned my tr since last new and i am after a bit of advice

I have removed the fuel cut off switch/impact switch due to it being badly corroded inside and the new pump not running all the time

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas what this could be wether to much/not enough fuel or just coincedence

any help would be great thanks

Hello Snaps,

I had a look at the Rimmers Bosch fuel pump conversion recently, and they advised that it be fitted in the same position as the original Lucas pump. I believe this to be incorrect, as the Bosch pump relies on gravity feed from tank, IE: the pump will pump, but not suction the fuel up from a lower level.

Unless you have a primer pump before the main pump, there will be low fuel flow to main pump.

It's a simple fix to re-locate pump and filter in the spare wheel well (lower than tank). And be sure to fit a pre-pump filter. There's a few high flow Billet filters available at mo.

In addition to all that, you have to set the Pressure relief valve to run with the Bosch pump. IE:measure the line pressure between PRV and metering unit, 110 psi. If not you have to turn the screw inside PRV clockwise to increase pressure, and anti clockwise to decrease.

Hi Snaps,

I agree with Lee.A Bosch pump can't suck fuel.It needs to be under the tank-which I've never seen done and is probably a fire hazard,or alternatively there needs to be a small low head primer pump between the Bosch pump and the tank to feed the Bosch pump fuel.The primer pump is selected for its capability to suck fuel from the tank and it is wired to operate when the Bosch pump does.

Regards,