grease nipple on clutch shaft

Hi all

Wanting to lubricate via all grease nipples I inspected access to the nipples on the end of the clutch cross shaft. Offside nipple is fine but the one attached to the lever end seems to have been modified. Why?

A previous owner seems to have applied a generous amount of weld to the area where it is attached to the shaft. Then he has fitted an extension tube with an in line nipple attached to the end! The tube is about 30mm long so with the length of the nipple there is about 8mm clearance between the nipple end and the inside of the gearbox cover.

This arrangement means I cannot attach a grease gun. I cannot see whether the tube is welded or screwed in position. I guess the easiest solution is going to be drilling an access hole through the side of the gearbox cover.

I just wondered if anyone has seen the modification before and if there is any good reason why it might have been done?

Attached is a photograph. Apologies for its clarity (lack of) but it was taken with the aid of a mirror!!!

Steve

The amount of weld seems normal. When I replaced the cross shaft in my TR4 having changed the gearbox to a saloon one, I found that there are two lengths of shaft. Sod's Law, I had the wrong one, and had to adjust the bracket for the slave cylinder to get a straight push onto the operating arm, there was a shortage of the correct shaft at the time. I wonder if this is what has happened in your case?

Rod

Edited by Rhodri

I seem to remember that S-T stopped having grease fittings on the ends of the cross shaft for the clutch for sokme reason at some time after my TR3A. My 1958 TR3A has them on both ends. If that's the case, why worry about it ? Try to unscrew it or cut it off shorter. I'd be very reluctant to drill and tap a new hole for a new grease fitting until after I'd have tried all the simpler ideas.

Steve, Don is correct, looks to me like you simply have a long straight grease nipple screwed into th e original fitting.

Try unscrewing it, and if this right, simply replace with the standard one.

john.