HI

I have a 1971 tr6 and am renewing parts in the front suspension.I painted the vertical link,hub and brake dust shield in smooth hammerite. Now i'm wondering if this would be ok due perhaps to heat from brakes.Thankyou for any help given

It will be ok as regards heat but smoothrite does tend to chip easily thats its worst failing. But suprisingly resilient to standard brake fluid.

Stuart.

Welcome to the forum, home of those who spend their weekends painting the invisible underparts of their cars. :P

For anything under the car two-pack epoxy is best, with one-pack epoxy the runner-up.

This stuff is tough and resilient. I applied it to the (rusty) cast-iron axle beam of my Landy 5 years ago after polishing the rust with a wire brush, it remains perfect and unchipped.

http://www.rust.co.uk/epoxy-mastic.cfm

As Stuart says, Hammerite or Smoothrite is too brittle and will chip - it's good for window frames or garden gate hinges, but I always feel sorry for those who have gone to the trouble of prepping the chassis and then painted it in Hammerite. :(

Ivor

Edited by 88V8