Hub / Driveshaft / Clutch Slip

Hi there happy TR ers,

Can anyone shed a little light on my TR3A issue? :rolleyes:

I have play in both rear hubs in an, in and out not front to back direction. I have been told the axle may need a rebuild or it needs the shims replacing. Has anyone had this problem or can let me know what is the likely cause I don’t want to rebuild the axle if Its a simple bearings issue, but I can't see how they would cause the play.

I am in Derbyshire and do most of the repairs myself has anyone used a reputable business to rebuild their axle.

Clutch Slip.

The poor old car has sat unused for two years (mostly in a mates garage thanks again Paul) whilst I built it a new home. So last summer I decided to go to Nurburg for the old timer races. At the 11th hour just after three days of stripping bearings oiling and greasing and MOT sorting two years of neglect the clutch decided to start to slip. *****!!!! Ocks.

I’ve put it down to the oil change which may have got onto the clutch through the dreaded old style crank seal.

Does anyone out there know if there is a different test for the clutch / overdrive slip or managed to burn the oil off?. Your thoughts would be appreciated as it would be nice to go to a TR meeting in a shiny TR not "the other car"

Thanks

Dave

At the 11th hour just after three days of stripping bearings oiling and greasing and MOT

sorting two years of neglect the clutch decided to start to slip. *****!!!! Ocks.

The clutch on TR 2100 started to slip a few days before the JOG-LE

run back in 1978 (?).

No time to fix it - and I wasn't going to miss out.

Very careful nursing was required - very light throttle and no chance

of doing over 70. Made it, though, there and back.

Apologies to John Davies, my co-driver, 'cos he didn't get much of a

drive.

Are you still there, John?

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

I managed to burn out the clutch on a fully-loaded Montego on some very steep Devon hills a few years ago, but by very carefully nursing, it got us through the holiday and lasted another couple of thousand miles until I could afford to have it replaced. I'm not sure I'd risk it for as long in a more highly powered TR and suspect it may have a knock-on effect on the overdrive.