Variable Speed wipers

I have just been having fun trying to plumb in a relay on my wipers for my TR5. They've always been iffy and what really drives me mad is that they defy logic. Circuit testers reveal that there is no curent on the brown/green wire and yet that's the fast speed circuit whcih works (very slowly!). Clearly the 40 year old wiring & switchgear is getting on which is why I thought a realy would take the strain off the switch (which, I suspect is causing massive resistance as it's so old & the brass terminals have oxidised). I seen to recall that there is a variable speed kit which presumably includes a variable current rheostat which would presuambaly also take all the weight of the switch? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers . :rolleyes:

Hi David,

as the kit uses electronic devices to sort the speeds out I would asume that it doesn't have a rheostat as such but either a selector button to select the pulses or a small potentiometer that controls the timing process.

Neils link was very interesting also.

Roger

Hi David,

Which motor is it? I can draw a suitable relay circuit to control the speeds if I know which one you are using.

I also have a circuit design for wiper delay if that is of interest.

Just send me a suitable email and I'll send it to you.

TT

I have just been having fun trying to plumb in a relay on my wipers for my TR5. They've always been iffy and what really drives me mad is that they defy logic. Circuit testers reveal that there is no curent on the brown/green wire and yet that's the fast speed circuit whcih works (very slowly!). Clearly the 40 year old wiring & switchgear is getting on which is why I thought a realy would take the strain off the switch (which, I suspect is causing massive resistance as it's so old & the brass terminals have oxidised). I seen to recall that there is a variable speed kit which presumably includes a variable current rheostat which would presuambaly also take all the weight of the switch? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers . :rolleyes:

Dear Neil Suzanne & Tony. Thanks for your replies. Tony I have sent you a message & look forward to hearing from you.

KInd regards

David

Thanks heaps for the diagram Tony...much appreciated. As I intend to add a few electronic circuits to the 6, I am going to fabricate a 'drop down' panel under the dash on the passenger side to house these. This will keep them all in one place and be easier to access and check.

Tony