fitting the hard top

I still havent fitted the rearwindow, but am having to make my own individual brackets for the rear of the hard top.

I have had the top bolted to the windscreen for around 6/7 weeks, and havent used the car weathers been wicked.

However whilst making the rear brackets (leaving the front bolts in connecting the top to the screen) I notice that the studs that the hood would connect to

have gone through the interior cloth lining.

Are you meant to remove these when fitting the hardtop? its too late the lining is holed, saving grace is, it cant be seen when the tops fitted.

No idea Peter as I've never seen a TR2-3A hardtop with headlining. As I'm contemplating refurbishing mine sometime, I'd be interested to see some photos. I assume it's a standard factory steel hardtop? Does it have cantrail/stiffener rods inside the headlining to keep the shape?

Pete You should have a rubber finisher on the front of the underneath of the hard top that butts against the studs. You should leave the studs in. Does this help.

Stuart.

Hello Peter,

During my hardtop fitting I decided to keep the inner edges (from A post to B post and Lower back rail) visible. Because it's much easier to fix the lining and brackets. Brackets & fixing points are less visible when the hardtop is on top of your TR.

If it is not clear enough I do have more pics !

Hello Peter,

During my hardtop fitting I decided to keep the inner edges (from A post to B post and Lower back rail) visible. Because it's much easier to fix the lining and brackets. Brackets & fixing points are less visible when the hardtop is on top of your TR.

If it is not clear enough I do have more pics !

Raymond is that a clip that you have holding the hood rame down in the centre rear. Also what lining do you have in the hard top?

Stuart.

Raymond is that a clip that you have holding the hood rame down in the centre rear. Also what lining do you have in the hard top?

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

The clip in the centre is holding the hood frame, so the frame will not leave his marks into/onto the leather upholstery.

The lining I used was one of my first efforts, you often do everything following "the do it twice program". I was not really satisfied with the almost original look a like lining. So I took it of and put a new lining onto the semi soft foamy underlayment.

In a nice and dark blue colour, the colour in the picture is bit faded. I also added a couple of "holding bars" as you often see with classic sedan cars.

Regards,

Hi Stuart,

The clip in the centre is holding the hood frame, so the frame will not leave his marks into/onto the leather upholstery.

The lining I used was one of my first efforts, you often do everything following "the do it twice program". I was not really satisfied with the almost original look a like lining. So I took it of and put a new lining onto the semi soft foamy underlayment.

In a nice and dark blue colour, the colour in the picture is bit faded. I also added a couple of "holding bars" as you often see with classic sedan cars.

Regards,

Very nice job Raymond, but I would expect nothing less of you ;)

Stuart.

Hello Gentlemen, thank you for your replies and also New ideas.

Brian the original cloth had a 1" wide flat rail going across the hardtop also covered in the same cloth material, when I had it recovered this was discarded andunfortunately a new cloth lining sewn in 2 places was installed, but now it has come unstuck from the front of the hardtop over the windscreen and more work will be needed.

Stuart I notice now that the hardtop has holes in the steelwork around the rea bottom section for the studs to "enter" when fitted. I do have the rubber strip

around the botton section.

Raymond I wish I could begin again at the beginning, I see you changed your interior to a darker colour and a super job it looks, my car is black so I have to have a light colour!

But I should have fitted the hard top and made all the brackets before having it covered and I also wish I had instructed the people who did he job to keep it the same as it was originally, but It has gone wrong with other things, I had a request from a member to send him My hardtop brackets so he could have some made, he was in Germany and I am still waiting for them to be returned! I have remade my own now but they are not original sadly.

We try and help each other but sometimes it goes wrong, whwen I have it finished I shal post some pictures thanks to all for your help.

Hello Gentlemen, thank you for your replies and also New ideas.

Brian the original cloth had a 1" wide flat rail going across the hardtop also covered in the same cloth material, when I had it recovered this was discarded andunfortunately a new cloth lining sewn in 2 places was installed, but now it has come unstuck from the front of the hardtop over the windscreen and more work will be needed.

Stuart I notice now that the hardtop has holes in the steelwork around the rea bottom section for the studs to "enter" when fitted. I do have the rubber strip

around the botton section.

Raymond I wish I could begin again at the beginning, I see you changed your interior to a darker colour and a super job it looks, my car is black so I have to have a light colour!

But I should have fitted the hard top and made all the brackets before having it covered and I also wish I had instructed the people who did he job to keep it the same as it was originally, but It has gone wrong with other things, I had a request from a member to send him My hardtop brackets so he could have some made, he was in Germany and I am still waiting for them to be returned! I have remade my own now but they are not original sadly.

We try and help each other but sometimes it goes wrong, whwen I have it finished I shal post some pictures thanks to all for your help.

Peter I take it your studs are of the long variety. I use the slightly shorter variety for the rear for hard top cars which with the overlap of the rear cockpit capping usually keeps the headling from being punctured. The original studs also had the top of the point flattened which helps as well.

Stuart.

Hello Stuart,

you have hit the stud on the head, flattened and shorter studs indeed, will call woolies and make enquiry. WELL DONE MAN.

I also need a window rubber with about a half inch slit in it where it goes around the steel of the hardtop, instead of the one quarte inch slit one I have now.

Edited by pfenlon
Hello Stuart,

you have hit the stud on the head, flattened and shorter studs indeed, will call woolies and make enquiry. WELL DONE MAN.

I also need a window rubber with about a half inch slit in it where it goes around the steel of the hardtop, instead of the one quarte inch slit one I have now.

Peter Im not sure if the flattened end type are available these days as I tend to try and re-use the originals if at all possible. Baines trim supplies have all sorts of rubber profiles for windows.

Stuart.