Anyone have any ideas about which type of aircon condenser radiator would be suitable to fit in a (modified) TR8? I built it with the aircon heater matrix, a serpentine front end with a Range Rover compressor, a RR receiver/dryer together with a TR8 fan bracket + 2 fans to fit in front of the radiator. I was thinking of using a Range Rover Classic condenser but this is just a little too wide. I have an old TR7 condenser which seems leak free but would prefer something new. Grateful for ideas!

Ian Davidson

B)

Hi Ian,

Because we never had aircon on the British TR7&8 there seems to be little local information regarding this set up. I have had good experiences recently dealing with Woody at the Wedgeshop in the States.

Its probably worth looking him up on the web and sending him an e-mail. His company also breaks TR8s so he may be able to offer the correct parts.

Hope this helps

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

I have removed the air con from an original LHD US' TR8.

I will keep the parts, but if you need any information, just ask, if I can help ;)

Cheers,

Chris.

• 1 month later...
Hi Ian,

I have removed the air con from an original LHD US' TR8.

I will keep the parts, but if you need any information, just ask, if I can help ;)

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. Do you still have the aircon parts? I have a fan frame and two fans to fit them, but would like a condenser radiator and the brackets to fit it, together with any pipework you might have.

Cheers

Ian

Ian Davidson

But this is England . . . . why on earth would you need aircon in a TR8 . . . . ?

It's got windows, even if it's a solid tintop, otherwise it's got a sunroof or a hood as well.

And it's got a V8 by way of heating.

So it doesn't need the surplus weight of a heater, let alone aircon ?

Or am I missing something ? ;)

Cheers,

Alec

But this is England . . . . why on earth would you need aircon in a TR8 . . . . ?

It's got windows, even if it's a solid tintop, otherwise it's got a sunroof or a hood as well.

And it's got a V8 by way of heating.

So it doesn't need the surplus weight of a heater, let alone aircon ?

Or am I missing something ? ;)

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec

Some of us are doing our forward planning for global warming!! ;)

Regards

Hello,

Alec, here it's France, but I have removed the air con : who need an air con on a Triumph :P

Ian, sorry for any confusion, but I must keep the parts, so will not sell or give them, as the new owner of this TR8 as tell me that he may want to put in back on the car one day (hopefully he will not :rolleyes: )

Cheers,

Chris.

If you have access to a TR7 condensor, it will do the job nicely and it will not require any special fitting or bracketry.Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the tip. The TR7 condenser came complete with a big shroud and two fans and the whole assembly seems to fit in front of the main radiator. There isn't space with the V8 to fit all of this, as far as I can see. The TR8 fan assembly I have seems to fit behind the main radiator, with the aircon condenser in front of the radiator, presumably held in place with some special brackets? So all I need to do is to make up some suitable brackets?

Cheers

Ian

:D