Help with TR4 front indicator assembly please

Has anyone replaced the rubber boots behind the front indicators recently? They're part number 508162 and are common to all those single lens Lucas lights on early TRs. I've just tried to fit these and it looks to me as though the repro items are slightly too large. It seems quite difficult to fit the lens, the screw holes are in the wrong place and they're a very tight fit in the grille. Anyone had recent experience?

In a word yes..............!!!!!!!

I bought a pair of boots from Rimmers, one of them fitted no problem, the second could not be fitted as it was slightly too fat and the fixing hole locations did not match the bulb holder or the pattern in the front valance.

Then on checking the boots I noticed that they each had different part numbers cast into the rubber.

The boot that fitted had cast-in marks : 576105 CP14

The non fitting boot had the following part numbers : 576105 CP13

So after many phone calls and letters, and the delivery of more dud boots, Rimmers finally managed to understand what I wanted and they sent me a correctly marked replacement boot, which fitted - CP14 is the key...............!!!!!!!!!!

It would be interesting to learn if your "new rubber boots" have any identification markings on them.

Hope this helps to get you sorted out.

Regards, Richard ;)

Richard - thanks, when the snow stops I'll venture down the garden and look for the numbers. I bought the boots from Moss. They sound exactly like the ones that you found to be incorrect. There's just a chance I kept the originals so I might go and search them out, better 45 year old things that fit than new ones that don't. JJC