Four-ring pistons

Hello.

I have realised that the pistons in my engine are of the 4-rings type, i.e. with an additional oil ring below the pin. I have still to measure the pistons and liners to decide if they are worn and must be changed.

But I have read that these pistons are inferior to the 3-rings versions. Should I change them anyway? I do not plan to race the car.

Jesús

Hello Jesus, I''m afraid I personally can't help but see:

"Vanguard Pistons?, Why shouldn't I use these" started on 30/12/08 on this section of the Forum which may give you a bit more information.

Most TR parts suppliers offer the 3-ring as well as the 4-ring piston sets. I drove my 1958 TR3A 80,250 miles with the original 3-ring pistons and by 1968, the car had lost all power and was burning oil after about 50,000 miles. During my restoration from 1987 to 1990, sets were available for 2138cc, but I had trouble finding a set of pistons, rings and liners with 1991cc original displacement. I bought a 1991cc set directly from Peter Hepworth himself in North Yorkshire in 1988. In his basement old stock, he found a set with some Hepolite 4-ring pistons. I drove 94,000 miles with these and in 2007, I re-built the engine again. All I had to do was hone the bores and I put in new Hastings rings for the 1991cc pistons with 4 rings per piston. In the next 6,000 miles the engine runs fine and I'm not burning or leaking any oil.

I think from this info, I would conclude that my set of 4-ring pistons are doing just fine. I don't race the car but when I tour, I drive it hard and fast.

This photo was taken after having driven 94,000 miles.

Edited by Don Elliott
Hello.

I have realised that the pistons in my engine are of the 4-rings type, i.e. with an additional oil ring below the pin. I have still to measure the pistons and liners to decide if they are worn and must be changed.

But I have read that these pistons are inferior to the 3-rings versions. Should I change them anyway? I do not plan to race the car.

Jesús

Not inferior, but the more rings you have the more friction absorbs the engine power. In a road going car I think it would be hard to spot the difference.

Nick