How easy to remove and replace a rear bumper on the 6 ?

Hi All,

Hoping that you learned bunch could offer me some advice. Question is how easy is it to change the rear bumper on the 6 ? I keep reading the section in the hayes manual and then keep shutting the book as I can't quite figure out how I get to all the mountings. As level of 'ease' is subjective , if 1 is no knowledge of and 10 is a Guru I would rate myself as about 6

Many Thanks

Jeremy

Hi All,

Hoping that you learned bunch could offer me some advice. Question is how easy is it to change the rear bumper on the 6 ? I keep reading the section in the hayes manual and then keep shutting the book as I can't quite figure out how I get to all the mountings. As level of 'ease' is subjective , if 1 is no knowledge of and 10 is a Guru I would rate myself as about 6

Many Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy it is not that difficult although the fasteners vary slightly depending on where your TR came from and what year. There are two big bolts that hold the center section and two bolts (one each side at the ends of the corner pieces) that fasten those sections to the wings. Those corner bolts enter into captive nuts in the bumper corner sections.

On my 74.5 federal TR6 the two bolts for the center section go through some beefy brackets, through the rear valence, through a bracket under the bumper and are held with a lock washer and nut. I have a suspicion that the earlier cars may have captive nuts for the center section also but would need to have someone confirm that.

Now for the controversial part..

When I'm working alone especially I like to remove both corner pieces first because if I try and remove the bumper as a unit I am probably going to scratch the paint on the rear fenders. I have a set of fancy ratcheting ring spanners that make fast work of the three nuts holding each corner section to the center section. Then I can lift the corner sections away, undo the two center section bolts (with the center section sitting on a box) and then lift that away also.

If the bolts look like they have barnacles growing on them give everything a good soak in penetrant overnight.

It really is not that hard.

Stan

Edited by foster461

Hi Jeremy.

On a scale of difficulty from 1-10 its probably a 2!

I took mine off in one piece!!

When I did mine,first I removed the 4 securing bolts one by one!

By that I mean, I took one out,gave it a good soak in WD40 and put it back hand tight,I did all 4 to make sure they were free from the captive nuts in the bumper.

Dont forget to release the no plate light wires if you have one fitted!

If yours are stiff,they will need plenty of shots of WD40 and a bit of time to free them up.

When all 4 were good and free to remove,I placed a jack under the center of the middle section to support it,then removed the 2 big main center section bolts.

Then while it was supported just loosened off the 1/4 section bolts,and lowered,pivoted the whole lot down,keeping the 2 corner sections connected at this point!

Then as I removed a corner bolt,I slipped a good big bit of cardboard between it and the rear wing to protect it,when I took the other corner bolt out,I just lowered the whole lot to the ground and bobs yer auntie its off! :P

Much easier with the help of a mate to do one side as you do your side!

With fresh paint I refitted it with the help of my brother for safety!!

Good luck!

Dave

Edited by PILKIE