Dashboard veneer question

Hello all,

The first day of my christmas holidays and i've ripped the dash out of the six to gain access to a knackered heater fan motor. My dashboard veneer is definatly past its best (lots of cracks), is it worth attempting to sand it down and re-varnish it myself, or is this a complete waste of time? or should i wait until i can afford a new one ? (£200 ish probably) .

All advice appreciated, as always ;)

James.

Hello all,

The first day of my christmas holidays and i've ripped the dash out of the six to gain access to a knackered heater fan motor. My dashboard veneer is definatly past its best (lots of cracks), is it worth attempting to sand it down and re-varnish it myself, or is this a complete waste of time? or should i wait until i can afford a new one ? (£200 ish probably) .

James.

James, if it is just the old finish that is cracked you should have good success removing that and re-finishing it. It wont cost you a lot other than a few hours of your time and if it doesnt come out the way you like it you can always buy a new one.

If the old veneer is cracked and lifting that can also be replaced and people have done that although it requires a bit more expertise and some tools/equipment like a vacuum press and unless you had something special in mind like a rosewood dash with boxwood inlay of dancing nymphs etc I'd go buy a new one at that point.

Stan

If the old veneer is cracked and lifting that can also be replaced and people have done that although it requires a bit more expertise and some tools/equipment like a vacuum press and unless you had something special in mind like a rosewood dash with boxwood inlay of dancing nymphs etc I'd go buy a new one at that point.

Stan

Abalone inlay in rosewood Stan B)

Tony

Hello all,

The first day of my christmas holidays and I've ripped the dash out of the six to gain access to a knackered heater fan motor. My dashboard veneer is definatly past its best (lots of cracks), is it worth attempting to sand it down and re-varnish it myself, or is this a complete waste of time? or should I wait until i can afford a new one ? (£200 ish probably) .

James.

I went through this with my dash. Two attempts were made as the first veneer started to lift. The second didn't start to lift until I applied the clear coats. The veneer cost me $100 ($50 each)....and was put on with a vacuum press.. :blink: , so I did what I should have done in the first place...bought a new Burr Walnut dash from the TRShop (they were the cheapest..)...food for thought... ;)

Tony

These guys were at Stoneleigh.

http://www.chapmanandcliff.co.uk/

I sent them my glovebox lid, the veneer was bubbled on the back and cracked on the front. They reveneered the back looks like new, restored the front looks like the rest of the dash. You'll not be disappointed.

If you decide to DIY, be careful with the sanding - hand only :o - the veneer is very thin.

Ivor

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

James.

dont waste your time iam a joiner and once the dash gets bad these no going back ive just got mine done with new veeneer and its better than new now