TR4 Steering column into a TR3

Hi All,

Has anyone here done this? I have a R&P conversion with an unidentified column but I want to fit a TR4 item. However the TR4 item is much shorter, for example its shroud / outer tube is only 450mm but the item on our TR3a is 865mm. Here is a picture of the engine bay end of ours:

DSC01982.jpg

Anyone have a solution to the TR4a column? I would need to lengther the outer tube I guess but also the inner one which may prove difficult.

Many thanks, Ian

Hi All,

Has anyone here done this? I have a R&P conversion with an unidentified column but I want to fit a TR4 item. However the TR4 item is much shorter, for example its shroud / outer tube is only 450mm but the item on our TR3a is 865mm. Here is a picture of the engine bay end of ours:

DSC01982.jpg

Anyone have a solution to the TR4a column? I would need to lengther the outer tube I guess but also the inner one which may prove difficult.

Many thanks, Ian

I wouldnt bother. Get a top column assembly from TR Bitz for a split column Tr3a as by the looks of it the top UJ on your conversion comes up about the same place as most of the other rack conversion kits available. Give John Sykes a ring and he will give you the length. You may need a different steering wheel boss to suit the 3a column. Its not a good idea to try cutting and shutting columns as an unexpected break could be nasty.

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Can't be 100% sure without seeing it but from all the photos you have posted it looks to me like a TR3A top column to which the PO has attached a cowl for the indicators. If you can remove it and take some measurements I could compare to one I have.

So far as I am aware all R&P conversions use this top column and there are many solutions for the horns/indicators none of which are wholly satisfactory. If its all working why change it.