electric water pump

After seeing all the forum members who have fitted electric cooling fans I have decided to follow in their footsteps. While I was looking up the Davies Craig thermatic fan site I had a look at their progress on electric/thermatic water pumps. They have a couple on offer and are on their third iteration.

Has anyone fitted one of these WPs and gained some experience on how they perform?

After grinding and blowing out as much head and block rust as I could, I am thinking of temporarily fitting a water filter in the cooling circuit for a while to see if I can catch some of the crud before it gets into the radiator tubes.

Gratuitous advice on all of the above, plus advice on how to remove the WP pump impeller and still get no leaks along the shaft, will be gratefully accepted.

Hi littlejim,

Regarding the TR water pump, the impeller will need to stay on to retain the seal, and be set to 0.085" clearance from the bearing housing. When you reco it with new bearings and seal (the updated one with a metal casing), while the impeller is off, you could file or grind away the four blades to leave just the impeller nosing and back flange, if going electric.

You should be able to remove the blades evenly so as not to create an imbalance.

I've not used an electric WP, but the in-hose particle filters are good, although it will be a challenge to fit one to the short top hose. This is where they need to go to trap the detritus that comes out of the motor, and sits on top of the radiator tubes.

Incidently Supacheap carry perfectly good electric fans at less than half the cost of the Davies-Craig.

Regards,

Viv.