Restoration update

Hello all,

2/3 of the weather equipment is installed: the RH s/screen and the hood. And that took us some time. Not a single handed job! Together it took us over 25 hours to get things sorted. And I will not use the word 'perfectly' because it isn't. Imho the hood has to much 'fold' to be very tight.

Last week started cold, so the heater in the workshop was on. We placed the hood nearby, so that it would warm up, like the sun should do during the Summer. Than Alan started with the RH s/screen. That fitted perfectly, first time around! I'm glad it did. Remember: I rebuilt the s/screen twice! Then: the inside of the boot: I prepared the lining earlier this year and all that had to be done was glueing (is this correct?) in place. That also went very well.

But then we started with the hood... First, the controverse about the position of the lift-a-dots... Some pics in Bill P's book show them vertically; Roger W's book insists in putting them on horizontally. We opted for vertically: the previous hood had them vertically too.

The hood has been in my garage for over a year now and it's a little bigger than the original: I wanted the front lip of the hood to wrap around the window rail nicely. It does, but by altering this size, somehow the hood has grown a little 'sideways' too... In the the end (after many, many hours...) we are more or less satisfied with the fitment, but there's room for improvement. I convinced myself that the main goal of the hood: keeping the rain out, is achived.

Next week, the LH s/screen, the bonnet and tuning the carbs. After that: APK (=Dutch MoT) and adjusting the steering etc.

Well, here are some pictures.

Have a nice weekend

Menno

post-2514-1227890586_thumb.jpg

post-2514-1227890586_thumb.jpg

..we are more or less satisfied with the fitment, but there's room for improvement. I convinced myself that the main goal of the hood: keeping the rain out, is achived.

One advantage of a less than perfect fitting hood is that it encourages you to go topless as much as possible.

Yours looks just fine (certainly better than many, including mine) and the colour combination is growing on me (although the trim does look almost black in some photos).

Best of luck with the APK - should be a doddle :)

Menno you will probably find in a few years time your hood will fit great after it has shrunk a bit ;) Its not always a good thing to have them tight as a drum first of all. The original idea for the lift the dot fasteners was, the ones running from the centre to the left faced left and the ones running to the right from the centre faced right so that they always pointed towards you when stood at each side to remove the hood. Dont forget there should be another lift the dot peg and fastener in the place of the outer most screw fixing the hood webbing to the rear deck on either side.

The amount of hours to get the sidescreens and hood to fit doesnt suprise me at all, just goes to show how easy it is to run up a large bill when paying for restoration.

Looking very nice now its all coming together, you will be getting Raymond worried now in case you you turn up at at the same concours

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
Menno you will probably find in a few years time your hood will fit great after it has shrunk a bit ;) Its not always a good thing to have them tight as a drum first of all. The original idea for the lift the dot fasteners was, the ones running from the centre to the left faced left and the ones running to the right from the centre faced right so that they always pointed towards you when stood at each side to remove the hood. Dont forget there should be another lift the dot peg and fastener in the place of the outer most screw fixing the hood webbing to the rear deck on either side.

The amount of hours to get the sidescreens and hood to fit doesnt suprise me at all, just goes to show how easy it is to run up a large bill when paying for restoration.

Looking very nice now its all coming together, you will be getting Raymond worried now in case you you turn up at at the same concours

Stuart.

Hi Stuart & Menno,

No worries at all, it's a well deserved result !

Regards,

Next week, I'm starting to install the dzus fasteners in/through the bonnet. And I've been warned in advance... So, guess what! When I opened the TRAction December issue, I found a great article from Jean Roulleaux on page 27, together with an all explaining picture. Thanks Jean! This is the right article at the right moment.

It shows that both a Register's membership and being a Forum member pays off!

Menno