Rally of the Tests

So, come on guys - how was it?? Tony? Jonathon? Chris? Tom?? Give us the tales from both inside the cars and from the time controls.

Toronto is a long way from European historic rallying, so (for now) hearing about others playing in the lanes is all I've got...

Hi Toronto Tim,

As we put in the post 'our' local group offered to marshall on Saturday night on the last 3 regularity tests of the day. All three were run concurently with the intention of averaging 30 mph as far as I can work out. In reality it was flat out with the emphasis on navigation within the Ministry of Defence camp.

That part of the competition consisted of 3 tests of 5 miles each, run concurrently, and hence a bit hectic as some roads were used more than once. Our group turned out @18 marshalls who made up a significant number of the 60 or so needed to run the event at Swynnerton.

I should add that the event started on Thursday last, getting underway proper on friday and finishing at around 2.30 pm on Sunday after a lot of road, stage, and 'regularity' mileage. The parts we marshalled were hard miles in terms of engines and suspension as they were against the clock and on a range of surfaces - tarmac, concrete, and lots of loose gravel and mud.

I'm sure the entry list is published under the event website but as a taster the cars came from the 50's and 60's and were a mixture of saloons and sports. The entry list had @10 TRs listed of which most were 4's but with the odd 3/ 3A thrown in. There were some original 'works' TR3's and TR4's. If anyone wants details I'll do my best to identify them (better still, any competitors reading this thread ?) Lots of Fords (cortina TC's and GT) Alfa Guilia and Guilietta's, mini's, vauxhall VX 4/90's, big Rover P4, Merc, and a whole host of other stuff, some weird, some wonderful, some lost, but all appeared to be giving it the best shot. Oh yes and how could I forget the sound of Porsche 911 going past us flat out, Music. Think there were 8 or so of them.

We did a range of controls, from standing cones back up, through 'passage controls' (signing competitors timecards to confirm visiting a control) through to 'Time controls' (Involving giving a time from the organisers clocks and logging the 'chip' on the competitors timecards).

Absolutely cracking event, cars used hard without needless damage, but 'going for it' all the same. We all commented on a Standard 10 that was being driven to within an inch of its life, and how well it went. Bear in mind that it was well into 2 days of similar treatment - came into the control with all 4 wheels locked up and left us sideways in a shower of stones - Brilliant !

The competitors might like to give some of the other detail, but some things like the circa £ 2400 entry fee cooled my appetite for the event, although it must be said that this is one of the premier events in the calender and much cheaper events are easily available throughout the country.

We joined some of the 'TR' crews at the local hotel once we were let out of the complex and I would like to say a public thanks for making us welcome, most of all though I would like to thank the members of our Register group who gave up a saturday night to help. Most, it turned out, had no idea what to expect, but all did a sterling job on a very cold (@ 1 degree) and dark night in a pretty foreboding place.

Thanks very much folks, you did the club proud.

Chris

Thanks for the report, Chris. Sounds like a great experience from your side - and no doubt all of you marshalls were very much appreciated.

I see that photos are up on www.tonylargephotographic.co.uk and that the report and results are available on http://www.classicrally.org.uk/rott2008/news.html - looks like a good showing, although sad to see two TR3A retirements.

I haven't been rallying since I pensioned off my Vitesse back in the mid 90's before I moved to Canada, but reading about all of the exploits here and my reaquaintence with TR's (1961 TR4) are making me ramp up for some road rallies here in Canada - even though I'll have to compete against moderns most of the time. Still, should be interesting...

Apologies chaps .... preparing BST82B for LE JOG next weeks so time is short .....

Pictures at http://www.everybodysmile.biz/tonylargephotographic/

and results at;http://www.classicrally.org.uk/rott2008/news.html .... you can download a PDF of the whole thing.

Generally a scruffy rally for us this time, although the odd flash of what we were there for. Brilliant all the same. Great tussles on the special tests (see the results) but a few cock ups from both Rob and I on the road and on tests limited our travel up the leader board from the first night onwards.

Thanks again to the Marshalls ..... without you we'd not have as much fun.

Best regards

Tony

btw .... see LEJOG at .... http://www.hero.org.uk/artman2/publish/lej...formation.shtml and look out for the blue TR4 with the bumps on the roof again! I might get away with a club banner on the screen this time around .......!

Chris - thanks again to you and all the TR marshals, sounds as though you enjoyed Swynnerton almost as much as we did!

Pic attached, ready for concours judging! I took the car to the jetwash on Saturday - it took three normal washes to get it clean! Never seen such a filthy engine bay...the mud had safely reached the top of the bulkhead! No major damage to report, other than a few things caused by the extreme vibration from rough roads - during Swynnerton, the passenger window parted company from its runner but fortunately didn't smash, and one of the Lucas SFT fog lamps fell to bits. I only discovered when I got home that the alternator was hanging on by a single bolt - the top bracket had given up, and the casing at the front had cracked right across! Considering the stick the car got, I think we were lucky.

Engine refresh time now, so the car is already on axle stands and most of the engine bay stripped back. Next rally for us is the Tour of Cheshire on 7th March, so plenty of time to run it in!

Good luck to Tony and any other TR's on Le Jog.

Jonathan

post-3503-1228140031_thumb.jpg

post-3503-1228140031_thumb.jpg