Hot wiring - Electricks

I noted recently that the bullet connecting the switch wire to the power (brown/white) cables under the dash gets very warm when the sidelights are on. When the headlights on it gets positively hot. All works ok apart from that. If it is a dodgy earth how do I find it if not whats the problem ?

It sounds like the bulley connector itself has a high contact resistance, corrosion on the bullets or the spring loaded tube perhaps. The joint between the bullets and the wires could be poor, are they soldered or crimped?

If cleaning it up doesn't help I would replace all the parts of the foint and solder the bullets, or use a blade connector.

I agree with Mike, the problem lies in the bullet connection, and he's detailed the action to cure the problem.

Don't leave it - you don't want melting plastic or rubber (and the fumes which could be produced) beneath your dashboard.

Ian Cornish

I agree with Mike, the problem lies in the bullet connection, and he's detailed the action to cure the problem.

Don't leave it - you don't want melting plastic or rubber (and the fumes which could be produced) beneath your dashboard.

Ian Cornish

Thanks guys, will get on the case and report in.

Robin