IGNITION TIMING SETTINGS

Welcomt to the forum Tony

Standard static timing for a CP is 11 degrees BTDC but weather or not you can actually run that high rather depends on your motor nowadays. You can set the strobe the same (a much better way) as long as you set at idle below around 900 RPM; what you mustn’t do is the let the auto advance kick in; but this shouldn’t happen until around 1400 RPM.

A PI doesn’t have vacuum advance so no problem there but if you want to use a strobe on carbs, then diss the vacuum advance tube & shove a biro up it to stop it having any influence!

Edited by Richard Crawley
Hi,

Does any one know the ignition setting for the distributor

The car is a 72 CP Engine standard tune

Need to know the static timing and also the timing using a strobe

Many thanks

Tonyl

If you're in the States and hot to trot, I think it's 12 static, and this should be good on the strobe up to 900rpm.

If you're in the UK, I hope you're not disturbing the neighbours with that noisy car at this hour young man ! :angry:

Tomorrow someone will wander into their garage (not me in my jimjams) and look up the curve in the Brown Bible (shop manual), a copy of which you will find indispensible and will come across on Fleabay.

Having said all that, the timing marks on the pulley can be way way out, as the rubber core shears and allows the inner and outer parts of the pulley to wander. My car - about 30 degrees out, as I recall. So regard the static or strobe timings as indicative, and when the engine's started, dial it in by swinging, pertinent threads being found on the forum with 'swinging +timing' or 'swinging +ignition'.

Welcome, by the way.

Edit: I see Richard posted while I was still composing. If Richard says the starting point is eleven degrees, it's eleven. I sit corrected. :unsure:

Ivor

Edited by 88V8

Standard static timing for a CP is 11 degrees BTDC but weather or not you can actually run that high rather depends on your motor nowadays. You can set the strobe the same (a much better way) as long as you set at idle below around 900 RPM; what you mustn’t do is the let the auto advance kick in; but this shouldn’t happen until around 1400 RPM.

A PI doesn’t have vacuum advance so no problem there but if you want to use a strobe on carbs, then diss the vacuum advance tube & shove a biro up it to stop it having any influence!

Thanks for the help guys - its appreciated!

I will try 11 degrees - do I have to reduce this setting ie bring it back towards TDC to stop it pinking

I use unleaded with additive on the standard PI equipment.

Thanks again

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

I was checking the timing today - more out of curiosity than anything as the engine seems to run well.

Looking at the timing, it's a blur. There are a couple of liquid paper lines that blur out to about 1/2 inch wide when the timing light's on them. Certainly no way of lining it up to anything with any accuracy.

What's going on? It's a 72 PI.

Thanks in advance. (no pun intended!)