Rear Hub - needs replacing

Thanks for reading this and a reply would be helpful.

Have had a 'whining' at the rear end of my TR5. Posted for views before today but results inconclusive' Anyway been to Devon and back and to the Triumph all car show today at Duxford. Some very nice motors there and good showing of fives (yep saw your Harry, sweet as ever). Anyway the whining has got WORSE gradually getting louder and sounding like its the offside rear wheel or something connected to it. Anyway got back today worried so jacked up the back end and supported, started car and placed in 4th gear. Yep definitely sounded like the hub or something nearby. YES checked the recon diff for oil and fine. There was a bit of play in the hub (passed MOT Friday they checked it) not much but discernible. Checked the other side and it seemed fine. SO with some input from the friends one an engineer and the other very good with motors we decided it was the hub. There is a lot written about them and upgrading but I was thinking its a standard car so a recon exchange from TRGB at £85+ vat seen OK. Anyone used these or got a view on a good alternative. Also assuming as the racket is only from one side and it seems the other hub is OK just replace the dodgy offside hub (and UJ's). Does the foregoing seem reasonable in terms of diagnostics and replacing one ok , albeit from a good source. Have rebuilt the rear suspension so all nuts etc have been off recently so not anticipating any issue with a straight swop, also assuming its fairly simple.

Thanks for reading this and a reply would be helpful.

Have had a 'whining' at the rear end of my TR5. Posted for views before today but results inconclusive' Anyway been to Devon and back and to the Triumph all car show today at Duxford. Some very nice motors there and good showing of fives (yep saw your Harry, sweet as ever). Anyway the whining has got WORSE gradually getting louder and sounding like its the offside rear wheel or something connected to it. Anyway got back today worried so jacked up the back end and supported, started car and placed in 4th gear. Yep definitely sounded like the hub or something nearby. YES checked the recon diff for oil and fine. There was a bit of play in the hub (passed MOT Friday they checked it) not much but discernible. Checked the other side and it seemed fine. SO with some input from the friends one an engineer and the other very good with motors we decided it was the hub. There is a lot written about them and upgrading but I was thinking its a standard car so a recon exchange from TRGB at £85+ vat seen OK. Anyone used these or got a view on a good alternative. Also assuming as the racket is only from one side and it seems the other hub is OK just replace the dodgy offside hub (and UJ's). Does the foregoing seem reasonable in terms of diagnostics and replacing one ok , albeit from a good source. Have rebuilt the rear suspension so all nuts etc have been off recently so not anticipating any issue with a straight swop, also assuming its fairly simple.

Sounds fair to me as TRGB are reputable suppliers. Remember the hub to trailing arm nuts have a very low torque value.

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Thanks for that Robin.Duxford was brilliant as usual.Loved the dogfight between the Spitfire and ME109.I counted five spitfires flying plus I think an American Sabre Jet that beat up the runway.Lots of war birds and it was not a flying display day.Just brilliant.

You probably know my views regarding the rear hubs from earlier post's.It's painful and costly but for peace of mind I opted for Cosworth hubs.Richard Goodparts has manufactured rear hubs as well.

Regards Harry. :lol: