TR4a Seat foams

Hi,

I have just had delivered a set of new seat foams which I ordered from a large classic car parts supplier. Was I suprised when I opened the box that they came in? They are made from a pink coloured open texture foam and the edges of both the seat base and back foams are sharp angles not curved shaped like the old ones that came out of the seats. I am concerned that if I use them, when I put the covers (leather) on, that the sharp edges will still be "visible" and spoil the shape of the seats. Has anyone bought seat foams that look like the shape of the originals? If so who was the supplier? I bought some new foams for my MGB (sorry) a couple of years ago and they were shaped like the original foams so I was not expecting to have a set fro the TR that lookes like they had been cut straight from a block of foam.

The leather seat covers came from the chap that advertises on Ebay. Whilst I cannot say what they are really like until they are fitted to the seats, they look pretty good and, they were cheaper then the vinyl ones which are being sold by the large Triumph supplier based in Bristol.

Thanks

Graham

Graham

My replacement foams came with sharp edges but as my originals were "unrecognisable " I had no good point of reference.

The sharp edges seem to tuck neatly into the corners of the seat cover when you assemble them and produce a nice exterior edge.

The joins of the seat material are always doubled over, so there is plenty of scope for the sharp edged foam to be absorbed.

If the seat frames are ready I'd go for a dummy run ( before you part with more cash or resort to the electric kitchen knife )

to satisfy yourself that the end result will bring about an acceptable result.

Grab a whole load of small bulldog clips and make up a large number of cardboard strips ,as protectors, so that you don't mark the leather

when you clip it to the frame.

Let us know how you get on.

Bob