TR3A Short Starter - Proper Finish

Does anyone know what is the correct finish for the later short Lucas starter. I have found a replacement which has ben reconditioned and it is painted glossy black. Is this correct?

Hi Frank,

A hard question indeed to answer correctly.

That gloss black you have is most likely what the reconditioner had for general use in his spray gun. While like Don, I have the earlier car with the long starter, I didn't know its original finish, and just matched it to the generator's satin black using a brake caliper and drum paint from a rattle can. This paint can take heat and is very durable. It comes in gloss or satin as required.

Our concourse judging notes just look for black, without specifying gloss, satin or matte.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Frank,

A hard question indeed to answer correctly.

That gloss black you have is most likely what the reconditioner had for general use in his spray gun. While like Don, I have the earlier car with the long starter, I didn't know its original finish, and just matched it to the generator's satin black using a brake caliper and drum paint from a rattle can. This paint can take heat and is very durable. It comes in gloss or satin as required.

Our concourse judging notes just look for black, without specifying gloss, satin or matte.

Regards,

Viv.

Thanks gents - one more clarification please- should the "end plates" remain a natural metalic or would those also be painted black? see attached random photos that I found on the web - can'[t tell if these are reconditioned or NOS.

Copyofct_i25550.jpg3013_1.jpg

austin_starter-1.jpg

Any cast alumimium parts like the ends of the starter and generator should be left bright auminium or powder coated aluminium colour. Tell me Frank - how are you planning to powder coat the housing for the starter and the generator black with the coil windings still inside. Won't they be affected by the heat in the oven ?

"Tell me Frank - how are you planning to powder coat the housing for the starter and the generator black with the coil windings still inside. Won't they be affected by the heat in the oven ?"

Don: I haven't given that any serious thought until I read your post. However, if I can completely disassemble the starter, that would be the safest method albeit tedious. If that fails, I may be able to cure the powder at a lower temp for a longer period of time.

I'll keep you all posted.