Luggage rack - which type?

Hi all,

Before going on a camping holiday I'd like to bolt a luggage rack to my TR6. Looking at the Moss and Rimmers websites they don't show any pictures of the actual rack they sell on a car. Has anyone bought a luggage rack recently in the UK / Netherlands and care to show us what these look like?

Browsing the internet I've found some fairly good looking luggage racks on TR6's, but also a few I didn't really like. Since it's going to be bolted on, I want to make sure I buy the right thing...

Anyone who can help me with this?

Thx in advance!

Best regards,

Pim

Hi all,

Before going on a camping holiday I'd like to bolt a luggage rack to my TR6. Looking at the Moss and Rimmers websites they don't show any pictures of the actual rack they sell on a car. Has anyone bought a luggage rack recently in the UK / Netherlands and care to show us what these look like?

Browsing the internet I've found some fairly good looking luggage racks on TR6's, but also a few I didn't really like. Since it's going to be bolted on, I want to make sure I buy the right thing...

Anyone who can help me with this?

Thx in advance!

Best regards,

Pim

Pim

I have replied to your pm

Cheers

Guy

Rimmers have a picture on page 203.

Amco style , stainless steel am5347ss fitting kit am5347fk.

Edited by Jersey Royal

Before buying a rack, which will most likely end up being a permenant fitting, you might like to have a look at a boot bag (www.boot-bag.com) This is a very simple solution - a large bag made of waterproof material, a set of straps and a sheet of that funny bubbly non-slip platic / rubber stuff. The sheet of stuff goes on the boot lid and the straps hold the bag. The fittings for the straps are sewn into the bag. I took one to Italy and Greece last year - works fine and compeltely waterproof even though torrential rain in FRance on the way back. Anther advantage is that you still have some rearward visibility through the interior mirror and when you take the bag off, there's no empty rack to lug about.

No connections with comapny, other than happy and satisfied customer.

Kevin

Before buying a rack, which will most likely end up being a permenant fitting, you might like to have a look at a boot bag (www.boot-bag.com) This is a very simple solution - a large bag made of waterproof material, a set of straps and a sheet of that funny bubbly non-slip platic / rubber stuff. The sheet of stuff goes on the boot lid and the straps hold the bag. The fittings for the straps are sewn into the bag. I took one to Italy and Greece last year - works fine and compeltely waterproof even though torrential rain in FRance on the way back. Anther advantage is that you still have some rearward visibility through the interior mirror and when you take the bag off, there's no empty rack to lug about.

No connections with comapny, other than happy and satisfied customer.

Kevin

I bought one of these this year. Used it for camping at malvern and then went over to France, 1200miles, worked a treat and only cost £65.

Cameron

Thanks guys, for the guidance. The bag looks like a practical thing but I think I'll stick to the luggage rack; looks more period to me. It's not like I'm driving around in '60s outfit all the time, but still.

The pictures from Guy's car help me a lot, so I think I know what I'm ordering. (The drawing in the Moss catalogue really isn't that clear and there's no picture at all on the Rimmer's website, so that's not very helpful, is it?)

Cheers!

Pim

Thanks guys, for the guidance. The bag looks like a practical thing but I think I'll stick to the luggage rack; looks more period to me. It's not like I'm driving around in '60s outfit all the time, but still.

The pictures from Guy's car help me a lot, so I think I know what I'm ordering. (The drawing in the Moss catalogue really isn't that clear and there's no picture at all on the Rimmer's website, so that's not very helpful, is it?)

Cheers!

Pim

Pim

Heres a scan of Rimmers page 203

img017.jpg

Cheers

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your help.

I received the rack from Moss last Wednesday and today I managed to bolt everything together. The fit of the rack wasn't perfect - the feet were not at the right angle to fit directly onto the boot lid, so I made up some rubber fillers to go between the rack and the boot lid. Also, the rack wasn't completely square so if you look very carefully you can see it doesn't align completely with the front of the boot lid. Actually, if you'd measure the alignment to the left and right hand side of the boot lid, you'd find it's about 3 cm off. But luckily that's hard to see.

All bolts are outside the rubber seal of the boot, so I don't think I should have any worries of water leaks. But just to be sure I put some sealant in the holes before screwing the rack on. In one of the pictures below you might spot the (white) sealant in the bolt's thread.

So now, time for a holiday trip! :D

Cheers - Pim

post-6065-1218912302_thumb.jpg

post-6065-1218912314_thumb.jpg

post-6065-1218912322_thumb.jpg

post-6065-1218912333_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for your help.

I received the rack from Moss last Wednesday and today I managed to bolt everything together. The fit of the rack wasn't perfect - the feet were not at the right angle to fit directly onto the boot lid, so I made up some rubber fillers to go between the rack and the boot lid. Also, the rack wasn't completely square so if you look very carefully you can see it doesn't align completely with the front of the boot lid. Actually, if you'd measure the alignment to the left and right hand side of the boot lid, you'd find it's about 3 cm off. But luckily that's hard to see.

All bolts are outside the rubber seal of the boot, so I don't think I should have any worries of water leaks. But just to be sure I put some sealant in the holes before screwing the rack on. In one of the pictures below you might spot the (white) sealant in the bolt's thread.

So now, time for a holiday trip! :D

Cheers - Pim

Excellent Pim,

Looks as if the rack dimensions have changed over the years. Mine bottom feet screw through into the sealed lip edge. I reckon yours is a better idea and is solidly fitted.

Enjoy your Hols

And dont forget to post some pictures on your return

Cheers

Guy