I have reached the stage where I am trying to put an exhaust and manifold on my TR4. I have collected a standard TR4, a TR4A, and a Moss/Falcon tubular manifold. The last one comes with a Y piece and a short length of pipe to reach the cruciform bracket.

The exhaust is a two box standard Phoenix TR4 system that has a joint at the cruciform bracket. The rear of this system won't fit as the bends are not right. This makes the rear silencer not parallel with the chassis and is about 4" away from the hanging point on the chassis. The top of the centre silencer looks as if it will be mighty close to the floor but because of the bends it will not fit anyway.

The tubular manifold exits it against the lower chassis section and the joining pipe seems to be bent wrongly, so it won't fit. This will be day two trying to get one to fit.

At the moment , I don't mind what exhaust I have on the car, as long as it fits. The Phoenix system and the Moss manifold were bought 4 years ago so any guarantees will have long gone- even if I could find the receipts.

What system will fit, straight from the box please?sad.gif

On my 4a I have the TR6 GT system (twin pipes from standard 4a manifold no centre box and two oval rear silencers, that one fitted "straight from the box". Thats on a solid axle car so should fit yours ok Rod and its got brilliant ground clearance as well. Its quite loud but not excessively so and combines well with the sucking noise of the "40s". Im not sure of the make now but could have been a Falcon.

Came from TR Shop at a good price.

Stuart.

I haven't had quite the problem you've experienced with the Phoenix system. I just fit the Phoenix standard two box system on my TR4, and was only slightly off on the rear silencer - could still attach to the rear hanger. System was purchased from Moss about a year ago. I matched this up with a 4a manifold and standard y-pipe and it even mounted to the transmission hanger without too much fuss.

Probably not your issue, but at first I could get it to fit because of interference by the transmission. I realized,however, that my rear mount had disintegrated and the whole setup was too low by about 1".

Randy

Rhodri

I had to get out the hacksaw when fitting my exhaust.The last section needed a small wedge cutting out to get the llne to the final exhaust support to line up.Got the welder out and a quick grind down for a smooth finish.There is not a great deal of leeway with the run through the chassis.

Bob

Thanks all, I persevered and have a reasonable fitting now, mainly by cutting and rewelding the cruciform bracket an inch more towards the centre of the car- a work in progress!

I haven't had quite the problem you've experienced with the Phoenix system. I just fit the Phoenix standard two box system on my TR4, and was only slightly off on the rear silencer - could still attach to the rear hanger. System was purchased from Moss about a year ago. I matched this up with a 4a manifold and standard y-pipe and it even mounted to the transmission hanger without too much fuss.

Probably not your issue, but at first I could get it to fit because of interference by the transmission. I realized,however, that my rear mount had disintegrated and the whole setup was too low by about 1".

Randy

I have a non-standard ex-USA car tubular manifold & a phoenix single box exhaust. While some of the bends on the phoenix mean the centre pipe is a bit low the main problem was mating the manifold to the exhaust pipe. Phoenix made me a transition piece to my measurements for ( I think ) £40.