socket for gearbox filler plug

With a large hole cut in the side of the gearbox cover (and sealed with a large rubber plug similar to that used on the prop shaft cover), access is not particularly difficult, though not as easy as topping-up the gearbox on a TR2/3.

Ian Cornish

Is there such an item? my filler plug is so tricky to get to without removing the fibreglass belhousing every time i want to change the oil or top it up .Or is it a straightforward replace with a bolt job?

Any ideas please?

Hi Alan, the plug is just over 3/8 ins square and if you file it down slightly (it's probably worn anyway) then it will be a perfect fit with the female end of a 3/8 socket drive 3" extension. another socket can then be used on the male end of the extension either welded on or held with tape and this will reach through the hole it has been suggested you drill in the fibreglass cover. With the full square drive there is less chance of the plug falling off and ending up under the car.

Just be carefull you don't overtighten it, I use a smear of wellseal on the threads and do it about 1/8 turn past the point where it first goes hand tight.

Best regards Chris