New TR6 in Norway

Hello,

since i first saw a TR6 in the early seventies I wanted one. I have always been interested in cars, but this one made a lasting impression. Forgot it several years, and finally I recently bought one from UK and brought it back home to Bergen, Norway. It's a CP model, manufactured in February 1970, restored in 1986 and well kept thereafter. Since 1993 it has been living in Hampshire. It's lovely to drive, and so far I've not met serious problems. I gave it an under-body treatment, sandblasted, zincsprayed and covered with a stuff called Tectyl.

I'm no mecanic, but have learned from other not new vehicles, so I try my best not to damage anything when I try to do things. This forum seemes to be the one to get advise when needed :) Have bought a vacuum-meter, to synchronize the airsupply to cylinders - it goes well, but could be better with some tuning. Today I had no brakes, there has been a leak from around the brakpipe connector in the rear, hope to fix it by tightening a bit, or have to buy new parts. I didn't see it before the pedal went fully inn, and probably has got some air into the system - then I discovered that silicone brake fluid was used. This is not common goods in stores here, so I have to wait a week or two for more.

I plan a lot of nice motoring with this car !

Here is a picture of the car short time after coming to me, and for fun, one from it's underside after one spray of the underbodystuff :)

03072008010cz0.jpg

20082406triumphtr6o1986uq8.jpg

Hello,

since i first saw a TR6 in the early seventies I wanted one. I have always been interested in cars, but this one made a lasting impression. Forgot it several years, and finally I recently bought one from UK and brought it back home to Bergen, Norway. It's a CP model, manufactured in February 1970, restored in 1986 and well kept thereafter. Since 1993 it has been living in Hampshire. It's lovely to drive, and so far I've not met serious problems. I gave it an under-body treatment, sandblasted, zincsprayed and covered with a stuff called Tectyl.

I'm no mecanic, but have learned from other not new vehicles, so I try my best not to damage anything when I try to do things. This forum seemes to be the one to get advise when needed :) Have bought a vacuum-meter, to synchronize the airsupply to cylinders - it goes well, but could be better with some tuning. Today I had no brakes, there has been a leak from around the brakpipe connector in the rear, hope to fix it by tightening a bit, or have to buy new parts. I didn't see it before the pedal went fully inn, and probably has got some air into the system - then I discovered that silicone brake fluid was used. This is not common goods in stores here, so I have to wait a week or two for more.

I plan a lot of nice motoring with this car !

Here is a picture of the car short time after coming to me, and for fun, one from it's underside after one spray of the underbodystuff :)

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. It sounds like another mid-life crisis has been successfully resolved. Your TR6 looks to be in good shape and I'm sure you will fix your brake problems soon. This forum is a great resource and hopefully there are some fellow TR owners near you that you can enjoy the summers with and get some occasional practical help when you need it.

Stan

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. It sounds like another mid-life crisis has been successfully resolved. Your TR6 looks to be in good shape and I'm sure you will fix your brake problems soon. This forum is a great resource and hopefully there are some fellow TR owners near you that you can enjoy the summers with and get some occasional practical help when you need it.

Stan

There is no better source of good info as far as I'm aware Trond (I'm also a newbie). Good choice on forums and welcome.

Hi Trond, welcome to the Forum, you will get good advice in here to any question or problem you come across. There's virtually nothing you can't do yourself with these cars, you may have to buy a few extra tools, but they will very quickly pay for themselves, and looked after you have them for life. Very few modern garages are used to dealing with these 30+ years old cars.

This Tectyl underseal looks interesting, does it spray on as a liquid and then set as a rubberised compound as used by Peugeot and Citroen, I've been trying to track down that product for some time, as it is excellent stuff.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello again, and thank you. I've not driven the Triumph too much lately, took some time to get time to solve the brake problems, and I damaged my wife's hand while reversing my other car - it's a Land Rover with not too good sight backwards. Have to put on a reversing camera. Had to change our vacation-plans and now I have to do a lot more at home, her hand will be fixed for some months. But today I had both cars out, I like British cars :)

17082008061wq9.jpg

The stuff I used under the car, Tectyl, I don't know too much about it, but some think it turns too hard after a while, that it can slip and allow moisture to come in. It's the most used rust preventing stuff here at least, has been used for many decades. A little picture here, even if it doesn't tell too much.

07082008057jh2.jpg

Hi Trond

As others have already said, welcome to the forum! Your example looks a good one!

I occasionally get over to Bergen on my ship (Diving Vessel), so I may get the chance to meet and get a 'TR fix' whislt I am away from home!!! :lol:

Brgds