Tony's car (as it was found)

Just thought I'd share some pics with you of the car when I first found it. It had been sitting in a spray shop for three years and covered in ****.

Picture links: (have to copy and paste as I don't know how to post links yet).

www.acecom.com.au/pic1.jpg

www.acecom.com.au/pic2.jpg

www.acecom.com.au/pic4.jpg

www.acecom.com.au/pic5.jpg

www.acecom.com.au/pic6.jpg

Hi Tony, regarding your pictures, when you open the page for posting a topic, you will see "BB Code Help" at the bottom right. Clicking on this will give you examples of how to include in your post, including websites etc .

Hi Tony, regarding your pictures, when you open the page for posting a topic, you will see "BB Code Help" at the bottom right. Clicking on this will give you examples of how to include in your post, including websites etc .

Cheers for that Rhodri.

Pictures:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Hope this works...lol

Hi Tony,

Looks like a good solid starting point - solid enough to make many a British restorer green with envy !

Cheers,

Alec

Your right Alec, there is'nt a touch of rust anywhere (warm Aussie weather I think and no snow at all). The engine has already been rebuilt (never run).

It had:

Standard bore.

Compression increased to 10.5:1

Performance cam (not sure which one yet).

New valves and inserts (for unleaded fuel).

Flywheel lighten by 4Lb.

Bosch fuel pump and filter system

Double valve springs

New center-pull butterfly linkages fitted

New water pump

Reconditioned distributor.

and of course..bearings, seals rings etc.

So I have really saved some money on this purchase although a friend advised me to check the engine out thoroughly as it was rebuilt 3 years ago and never run. It has been turned over manually every week from what I have been told. Would welcome some feedback on this from you knowledgeable TR6'ers.

Edited by Tonymill
...a friend advised me to check the engine out thoroughly as it was rebuilt 3 years ago and never run. It has been turned over manually every week from what I have been told. Would welcome some feedback on this from you knowledgeable TR6'ers.

I'd look into what lube it was built with - I don't know how special assembly lube would stand up to three years' idleness.

The camshaft can be wiped out in 5 minutes by starting with poor lube.

If the lube situation is OK then I'd do a compression test by spinning it on the starter, see what you've got in each cylinder. Three years is a long time for the rings not to stick.

Hope you find only good news.

Ivor

I'd look into what lube it was built with - I don't know how special assembly lube would stand up to three years' idleness.

The camshaft can be wiped out in 5 minutes by starting with poor lube.

If the lube situation is OK then I'd do a compression test by spinning it on the starter, see what you've got in each cylinder. Three years is a long time for the rings not to stick.

Hope you find only good news.

Ivor

Thanks for the advice. I stripped the engine down and checked it out. Nothing sticking and all lubed well with what seems to be a sticky type of oil. The engine turns really smooth now (by hand) and there was no rust anywhere, especially inside so the previous owner did actually turn the engine by hand every week...good on him.

Engine details:

Standard bore

Compression raised to 10.5:1

Performance cam fitted (don't know which one yet).

Flywheel skimmed

Hardened valve inserts for unleaded fuel

New valves and guides

New piston rings

all new seals and gaskets.

I have attached the heritage certificate for those interested and will be joining the register..

Heritage certificate

I have attached the heritage certificate for those interested and will be joining the register..

Heritage certificate

Tony,

I noticed that your car was delivered to Tourist Trophy Garage - Farnham.

To any motor racing fan of a certain age, the name of Mike Hawthorn will be familiar but perhaps less well known is the fact that TTG Farnham was the Hawthorn family business.

If you're interested, Google the name and you can read all about it.

Hi Tony

Congratulations on the purchase

Look forward to seeing the car sometime

We will be back in Perth in time for the Triumph show at Guildford with the 5

Hope to see you then

Cheers

Andy

I'll definately be there Andy. I be with the Triumph car club of WA (without my TR6 unless a miracle happens..lol). See you there.

I'll definately be there Andy. I be with the Triumph car club of WA (without my TR6 unless a miracle happens..lol). See you there.

Tony

Good to have another 6 in Perth, PM me if you like. are you SOR or NOR?

Mark