Signal Red paint touching up

The paint on my TR6 seems rather brittle and has several small "holes" in it where stones have chipped it. Most are just a millimetre or so across.

What is the best way of hiding these without making it look like the surface of the moon? I have about 6 or so in various locations, including the bonnet which look obvious.

Paul Carey

Probably your best bet is to contact one of the many, Chips Away, or Dents'n'Scratches, mobile technicians that operate in the UK.

My brother had them come to repair a deep scratch on his 1978 3 series BMW's door,it was cheaper than claiming and paying the excess on the insurance, and only if you know exactly where the mark was will you ever spot it!!

Worth getting a guy in to quote you!! Well worth getting them all done in one hit!! its better than a few at a time as they only have to mix one batch of paint to match!!

You could also try and find a good local sympathetic body shop who could fit it in and do it bit by bit!!

The trick is to get a perfect colour match; unless you get a really good match by fluke, Halfords type touch up pens & sprays are pretty much useless & a waste of time; it will always look as if the car has had an outbreak of measles! The only way to get a perfect colour match is to get the paint spectrum analysed & have some touch up paint mixed. Most paint factors will do this but you may have to buy a minimum 1 litre; or, if the guy is experienced, he may do it with the “eyeball analyser” for less. Problem is that reds can be particularly difficult to match as they are very susceptible to different light conditions.

Cellulose is particularly easy to work with & I have a considerable quantity left over from the respray. I can get a prefect match every time; the trick is to kept building up layers of thin paint rather than one big blob; after 3 or 4 days building up & then another few days to let it harden, I just flat it off with 1000 & then 1500 wet & dry in a small one inch block of hard wood; a light polish with T cut & it’s gone.

Chips Away (& suchlike) are good & will achieve the same effect but it will cost you a lot more!

Yes, you gotta getta paint match and learn to DIY. The chips you already have are just a forerunner of chips to come, if you pay someone to fix them you'll be paying forever, unfortunately.

Once you have a match, this may help:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?pro...stSubcat=Others

Frost have a lot of good products, their catalogue is an eye-opener.

A precision paint brush also makes the job a lot easier - Agriemach supply one which is highly suitable, here it is, they also have a slightly larger size:

http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?products_id=615

Another useful company.

Ivor