Diff question

Guest james67

Hi James;

Short answer; No

totally different item.

Similar items are the 2000 / 2500 / Stag, however they have a different nose section and most have different ratios.

The only identical item is from the TR5/6. UK cars have the 3.45 : 1 ratio and US spec cars have the 3.7 : 1 ratio

Hope this helps,

Chris

Guest james67

Chris many thanks for that. I am looking to replace my one ore get it rebuilt

James.. B)

Hi James;

Short answer; No

totally different item.

Similar items are the 2000 / 2500 / Stag, however they have a different nose section and most have different ratios.

The only identical item is from the TR5/6. UK cars have the 3.45 : 1 ratio and US spec cars have the 3.7 : 1 ratio

Hope this helps,

Chris

The nose section on saloon cars is different, but it is simply a bolt on extension : it can be replaced by the TR flange.

A 2000 saloon has a 4.1 ratio, other models have 3.7 and 3.45. A saloon differential can be a good choice because most of these cars have less mileage and were driven sedately.

Guest james67

Hi that’s a good point about the saloons so I supposed the real question is where is a good and reliable place to get it reconditioned

James B)

The nose section on saloon cars is different, but it is simply a bolt on extension : it can be replaced by the TR flange.

A 2000 saloon has a 4.1 ratio, other models have 3.7 and 3.45. A saloon differential can be a good choice because most of these cars have less mileage and were driven sedately.

Hello Marv,

"and were driven sedately."

Are you sure???

Alec

Well, not all of them, forgot about you...

What saloon is it? Perhaps you know more about the ratio's?

Hello Marv,

my little 2000 saloon as was now has a warmed up TR5 engine on injection, goes fairly well :-)

Saloon differentials as installed by the factory, all 2.5 engined models 3.45:1, All 2000 with automatic gearboxes 3.7:1,

manual 2000 up to 1975 4.1:1, later 2000 manuals had the 3,7:1 automatic's ratio.

Of course, by now they could have any variation of the above.

Alec

Consequent upon this jolly useful thread, I just bought a 4.1 diff ex-2000 saloon, for my TR6.

Many thanks folks. :P

Ivor

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this thread, but yep the diff nigh self destructed on the 2000 auto which I run as an everyday road racer, (started to sound like a leyland bus) definitely not as quick as Alec's TR5 powered 2000, but plenty of torque and you just cant help flooring them.

Diff now being rebuilt, as well as manual overdrive conversion, and stage 2(ish) 2000 engine

Cheers

Darren