Fuel Tank breather pipe

Hi All, My TR2 long door resto is progressing but unfortunately won't be ready for Malvern this year as planned. I have now realised I forgot to ascertain the location of the fuel tank breather pipe hole in the boot floor pan before havng it painted. I have had a new boot floor pan fitted as the original was held together with wire and fibreglass resin which had obliterated the original hole so I have never had a point of reference, as the repro panel didn't have a hole.

There seems to be insufficient room to put it between the o/s of the tank and the o/s inner wheel arch as on the TR4, so I assume the hole must be slightly behind the tank to the o/s of the o/s rear captive nut for the tank strap. Is this correct? I assume the hole is located in the same place from TR2s to pre TS60000 TR3a despite the TR2 having a slightly larger tank.

Any advice in word or photo form would be much appreciated as I can't find any suitable photos.

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

I can't say for sure for a TR2, but my black 1958 TR3A is the same as this very late BRG TR3A that I restored in 2006. You can see that the overflow pipe exits the top of the tank and goes down between the tank and the inside wall of the inner wheel arch. Then there is a hole in the floor and a black rubber hose connected to this down pipe goes to exit somewhere above the rear spring assembly. However you do it, there is no concours judge who will ever see it and therefore he can't tell you it is wrong.

Edited by Don Elliott

Here's a picture which shows the hole at the top rear corner of the upper flat section in my TR2. Hope it helps.

post-584-1214216993_thumb.jpg

post-584-1214216993_thumb.jpg

Thank you Don & W Eden for your very prompt replies with photos. Much appreciated. It seems the hole is in the narrow gap between tank and inner wheel arch after all. The pipe did seem a little short for a hole next to the tank strap captive nut, but now I know it is in the higher front portion abutting the rear floor pan it now makes sense.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards

Trevor.

I can't say for sure for a TR2, but my black 1958 TR3A is the same as this very late BRG TR3A that I restored in 2006. You can see that the overflow pipe exits the top of the tank and goes down between the tank and the inside wall of the inner wheel arch. Then there is a hole in the floor and a black rubber hose connected to this down pipe goes to exit somewhere above the rear spring assembly. However you do it, there is no concours judge who will ever see it and therefore he can't tell you it is wrong.

Don: Is there a rubber grommet in that hole?

Frank - There is (was) no grommet from new. This might have added 5 pence during the assembly of the car, which would have reduced S-T's profits. But on the BRG TR3A that I restored, I made the hole a bit learger and put in a grommet to proctect the rubber hose. The original hose on my black TR3A was very brittle and cracked when I dismantled the car. It looked like pre-war rubber - or maybe war-time. So I put on a new length of black rubber hose. I don't think the rubber hose will vibrate in the hole in the floor, but I felt it was wise to use a grommet on the BRG one. There isn't much space between the inner wheel arch and the tank because the wire harness to the rear passes throught this area too.

Similar to Don - I used a length of clear plastic hose over the breather pipe and up through the floor hole to stop any rattling. The plastic pipe continued down through the original attachment clip on the outside of the chassis, near the axle hoop bolt.

Regards,

Viv.