Radiator - Strange behaviour or normal??

Just had my Rad recored but I was concerned that it is not functioning as it should.

I read elsewhere on the forum about running the engine til it's warm and feeling the rad for cold spots, much like you do with a domestic radiator. The gauge was showing 70degrees but the rad was cold. The hose coming off the water pump was warm as was the metal pipe to the bottom of the rad.

I turned off the engine and slowly relased the cap, when water/antifreeze started to spray out. it also came out of the overflow tube. I restarted the engine and noticed the rad was now warm and getting hotter from the top but still cooler at the bottom. This eventually got warm.

Looks like an airlock?? How has this happened and could it happen again and be a bit dangerous regarding overheating?

Please advise....

Cheers

Hi David, sounds as though you may have had an airlock, which has now cleared - run with heater on hot position to get any air out of that as well. It may just be that you hadn't got the engine warm enough for the thermostat to open properly, the rad. will be hot at the top and cold/cooler at the bottom (why in my book, you're better off having an electric rad. fan thermoswitch in bottom rad. to block pipe, otherwise overcooling may occur.

Thanks for that. the heater was on cold but when i switched it to warm the second time i ran the engine, warm air came out when i turned the fan on.

I have the Kenlowe switch in the metal pipe near the bottom hose anyway, but when I had the Radiator re-cored, the company that did it tapped a hole in the header tank in readiness for a thermal switch too.

hi David,

sounds like an airlock.

If you want to be certain, run up the engine from cold with the rad-cap off, When the thermostat opens you'll see the water passing into the top of the rad, soon after the level will rise as the water heats up, put the cap on then.

Feel free to pop-over: I've just gone through the drain/ refil/ new thermostat etc etc stuff on mine. I'm in Saddleworth, I see you're West-Yorks!

Cheers

Adey