My 60 spoke spare tire won't fit in the compartment below the boot. My TR3a is a 1958. I have read that the 48 spoke tire will fit, though have heard they are not good tires. Any suggestions short of cutting out the floor of the boot?

I appreciate any ideas or experience you may have. Trooper

My 60 spoke spare tire won't fit in the compartment below the boot. My TR3a is a 1958. I have read that the 48 spoke tire will fit, though have heard they are not good tires. Any suggestions short of cutting out the floor of the boot?

I appreciate any ideas or experience you may have. Trooper

It depends more on the tyre size unless you have anything bigger than a 4 1/2" rim. 145 or even 155 tyre should fit in ok which is fine as a get you home spare. It may be also worth checking how far your boot floor has dropped as well as they can be jacked up to somewhere near original height which will help no end.

Stuart.

Trooper,

There are a whole host of different solutions to this problem but don't forget that if you find a different size wheel and/or tyre to fit in the spare wheel compartment, you won't be able to fit any wheel replaced by the spare into the spare wheel compartment.

Then what?!

I removed the boot floor.

Good luck.

Regards.

David

Yes Trooper, first do what Stuart says, and check the boot floor hasn't sagged from people tossing in heavy stuff over the years.

Then if you want to keep the usual 165 x 15 tyre on a 4.5" rim for the spare, you can push it in OK with just partial air in it, and carry a can of pump up spray. Whether it's 48 or 60 spoke doesn't matter.

Wrap an old trouser belt around the spare wheel so you can yank it out in a hurry.

You should only consider the boot floor removal option if you want to run 5 x wider rimmed wheels. It's an issue for resale value though, in terms of what the next prospective owner might want to carry in the boot.

Personally I prefer to carry a 155x15 tyred spare, fully inflated, and leave boot floor intact.

Safer if you cop a rear ender, and no risk of an insurance dispute.

Cheers,

Viv.