Steering rack problems

My steering column has taken to turning inside the bottom clamp, I have fixed it with a big tighten to get home but am now considering my options and would appreciate some informed advice... I am a little nervous about this particular zone as you can imagine!!

We are talking a relatively unmolested early '4 here, so this means I have solid rack mountings to the original Mickey mouse ear supports.

I have found a bloke who claims he can rebuild the rack, I'll let you know......

Assuming that works out I am now looking at what other bits I should get to do a refurb.

The obvious first part is a new column clamp, but these are listed no longer available.

So any suggestions on new parts, how to refurbish the old part, would a six column with its slightly different fittings drop in and so on.

Mike

Hi Mike, there was something on this Forum, or in TRAction some time ago, involving cutting a piece of the clamp to allow it to tighten properly since the design is wrong. If no-one else posts then I will try to find it.

Secondly, the early racks are very hard to find now. Mostly they need bushes and pinion seals and not the actual rack or pinion, so I am lead to believe. As my early 4 is ex-USA I did not have a rack to rebuild so I had to spend a fair bit and get the last one Revingtons had in stock. This had a new rack and pinion etc. I am sure that they sell spares for the unit.

I can not remember the part number, 305648 ?, but the large supplier is sending out Spitfire units which are not quite the same.

My lower clamp mount had movement that I could not tighten out - I considered modifying the clamp as has been discussed in this forum. Instead of that option, I chose to go slightly non-original and used a later TR4a/5+ clamp (u joint style, no rubber donut). No modifications were needed other than swapping out the part, and it fixed my problem. Might be worth considering as I believe these style are still available.

Randy

64 TR4

OK thanks both, I found the previous thread and have downloaded the drawing photo and description of clamp modification.

Mike

Hi Mike,

if it is the mod whereby a small slot is cut into one side of the clamp to allow the clamp to compress properly I can assure you it works well.

I did mine about 50K miles ago and they are still tight with no other attention since initial tightening.

Give us some feedeback on what you think.

Roger

Hi Mike,

if it is the mod whereby a small slot is cut into one side of the clamp to allow the clamp to compress properly I can assure you it works well.

I did mine about 50K miles ago and they are still tight with no other attention since initial tightening.

Give us some feedeback on what you think.

Roger

Sorry for slow response but have been travelling and was made even later by a Fokker Rolls Royce (now now it was of the KLM variety, but that did come into it.) This means I haven't done anything since I posted. I expect to have job done by the end of next week or week after and will post acccordingly.

Mike

• 1 month later...
Sorry for slow response but have been travelling and was made even later by a Fokker Rolls Royce (now now it was of the KLM variety, but that did come into it.) This means I haven't done anything since I posted. I expect to have job done by the end of next week or week after and will post acccordingly.

Mike

Every thing takes longer. The local guy who said he could do the rack couldn't, well he could - but by sending it away to the usual culprits. I did start to see if I could get a new one made from scratch, Surprisingly I found a company pretty easily taht would do a one off for about £300 including NRE in just a few days, and would contemplate a deal for an order of 10, which would hopefully bring the price into sensible land but put that on hold till Malvern, where I learnt other developments are in place so I have left matters for now. I also got some remade column bits from TRtony so all looks promising.

Mike