Hi All,

My drivers door latch catches the bottom of the keep slightly as i shut the door. This is a problem that has been there for ages,something i have been meaning to deal with.

Seems to me either the latch on the door wants to go up a little or the keep on the post down. Hope that makes sense. ;)

Have moved the keep down as far as it can go, but having problems undoing one of the screws on the latch to the door.

Is there any movement on the hinge side?

Any advice, tips etc. appreciated as always.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy,

There is ample adjustment on the hinge side ( accessed behind the carpeted panel in the footwell ), but you will want to replace the washers when you set about it, otherwise they will pilot the hinge right back to where it was. The holes are oversize and will allow you to get the height where you want it, either by moving the lower hinge aft or the upper one forward. Tighten the bolts just barely enough to hold until you are satisfied with the position, then fully tighten. This will distort the washers, so future changes will need new ones again. <_<

Edited by Tom Fremont

Guy it may be that your hinges are getting worn thus dropping the door a bit, best way to tell is open the dorr a few inches and then try lifting and observe the hinges at the same time. Its quite often the top one worn more than the bottom one.

There is no adjustment on the catch mechanism on the door its all on the "B" post catch plate. I have got them to fit better if the hinges are worn by giving the door a bit of a lift with a jack when its in the just open position , but be careful that you dont catch the door on the wing swage line as thats usually the closest part. Make sure that you dont end up with the swage lines not matching as well.

The other option is to carefully bend the lower ramp on the catch plate slightly if its only just catching..

Stuart.

Hello Guy

Stuart is of course spot on with his reply,a few tips though replace washers as Stuart said on Two of bolts on the hinge and just nip up but not tight then remove the third,you need very little movement to make a BIG difference. When happy replace the third washer and tighten up

Regards

ntc

Edited by ntc

I’ve also used Stuart’s trolley jack trick to “adjust” many a door fit & not just on TR’s. In fact I believe it was a trick actually used on the production line with “difficult” doors; but you need to be careful.

It’s also a good way of adjusting the door on the hinges; loosen the bolts just enough to allow the door to move under the action of the jack (or when you lean on the top) & nip them up again when you’re done. If the hinges are badly worn, it’s also a fairly easy job to repair them!

Thanks Tom, Stuart , Neil and Richard.

For you help and advise, had hoped to give it a go this afty but got way laid sorting out a friends leaking bath.

Will have a go when i have some spare time.

Best Regards

Guy

Thanks Tom, Stuart , Neil and Richard.

For you help and advise, had hoped to give it a go this afty but got way laid sorting out a friends leaking bath.

Will have a go when i have some spare time.

Best Regards

Guy

Update.

All sorted out, all i needed to do was tighten up the bolts on the door, and adjusted the latch on the pillar down a bit more and job sorted.

Much better, whilst i was at it i put in some rubber strip between the long staight bar (from door open handle) and inside face of the door, which has had the effect of making the door shut with a better sound than it did before

Thanks again for all the advise

Guy