Tyres OK, but I think I have blown the engine - HELP

[b]Sorry if I seem to be taking over the forum with my questions but this is serious.[/b]

Having just put on my new wheels and tyres with the correctly adjusted pressures, I took my TR4 A out this morning to test everything was OK - until smoke started pouring out of my exhaust !!!!!

I was travelling at about 50mph, I accelerated to overtake reaching about 60mph. I noticed a puff of smoke out of the exhaust, then almost immediately lost a little power and saw I had covered the entire road in a thick fog. No knocks or bangs.

I stopped the car and considered my options. I was less than a 1/4 mile from home, so thinking I would have already caused any damage at 60mph, I started the engine and drove home. I travelled in 2nd gear at low revs and although there was some smoke, the car drove reasonably well, with a little loss of power.

The smoke was light grey and did smell of oil.

Would I be correct in thinking I have lost a piston ring and as a consequence I will have to have the engine stripped and re-bored ????

Any recommendations of workshops in the Newbury/Reading, Berkshire area or neighbouring counties.

I have also posted this on the main forum.

Please advise

Graham

Attached thumbnail(s)

Reduced 91%

1024 x 768 (186.31K)

[b]Sorry if I seem to be taking over the forum with my questions but this is serious.[/b]

Having just put on my new wheels and tyres with the correctly adjusted pressures, I took my TR4 A out this morning to test everything was OK - until smoke started pouring out of my exhaust !!!!!

I was travelling at about 50mph, I accelerated to overtake reaching about 60mph. I noticed a puff of smoke out of the exhaust, then almost immediately lost a little power and saw I had covered the entire road in a thick fog. No knocks or bangs.

I stopped the car and considered my options. I was less than a 1/4 mile from home, so thinking I would have already caused any damage at 60mph, I started the engine and drove home. I travelled in 2nd gear at low revs and although there was some smoke, the car drove reasonably well, with a little loss of power.

The smoke was light grey and did smell of oil.

Would I be correct in thinking I have lost a piston ring and as a consequence I will have to have the engine stripped and re-bored ????

Any recommendations of workshops in the Newbury/Reading, Berkshire area or neighbouring counties.

I have also posted this on the main forum.

Please advise

Graham

Attached thumbnail(s)

Reduced 91%

1024 x 768 (186.31K)

Graham the first thing is try a compression check although I suspect when you take the plugs out it will be patently obvious which cylinder is the problem.

Stuart.

Graham the first thing is try a compression check although I suspect when you take the plugs out it will be patently obvious which cylinder is the problem.

Stuart.

Stuart

Thanks for your reply.

Now I have had lunch and got over my upset, I have looked at the engine - no water in the readiator or top hoses and a slight 'soapy' deposit on the under side of the oil filler cap.

The head gasket I recon ???

The better of the two evils I believe.

Graham

Stuart

Thanks for your reply.

Now I have had lunch and got over my upset, I have looked at the engine - no water in the readiator or top hoses and a slight 'soapy' deposit on the under side of the oil filler cap.

The head gasket I recon ???

The better of the two evils I believe.

Graham

Graham

I agree, sounds like a head gasket, better now than in France or half way to the International :P

Easy fix and meanwhile you can check the rings, valve seats etc etc :unsure:

A very big thank you to everyone.

The guy who was passing on his canal boat helped me strip the engine this afternoon and we found the head gasket to be faulty - Phew!

When my wife saw the gasket, she said she - all knowingly "I guessed it was that and wished I'd have said, it was likely to be the big end" !!!

Thank goodness there are still decent people around willing to help others.

A big thanks once again - OVER AND OUT.

Graham