Unusual, but sobering nonetheless

Hi Andy

This car was raced by Jack Drews, a well known American historic racer.

This crash happened a couple of years ago and unfortunately the car was written off.

If you go to his son's website http://www.tonydrews.com you will see pictures of the car before and after the crash as well as videos.

It was this car that made up my mind to spray my TR4A in Dodge Viper blue when I recently completed a full rebuild.

Unfortunately I wasn't allowed the white stripes, mumblings of middle aged boy racer from the wife, but I still like it anyway.

Regards

Lee

post-3598-1206640423_thumb.jpg

post-3598-1206640423_thumb.jpg

I believe that this was the result of a half shaft / hub assembly breaking ......

Shows the value of a good cage and a well constructed car though!

Regards

Tony

I believe that this was the result of a half shaft / hub assembly breaking ......

Shows the value of a good cage and a well constructed car though!

Regards

Tony

That's true, it was the half shaft. On Tony Drews' website and other website's (Mad Marx is knowing exactly I believe) is some discussion about this failure : it has to do with

the key, located in grooves of the hub and shaft : when the key (about 7mmx7mmx 50mm) is too high, the contact area between hub and tapered halfshaft is wrong and a

crack along the bottom of the groove in the axle is the result. The video is showing that the axle is breaking just before the car is reaching a high curb stone.