Hi everyone

I'm in the process of buying a new softop cover for the TR5 and have taken the soft top frame off the car in preparation for the job ahead (with every intention of stripping the frame and repainting it ready for the new top)

I've noticed however that the frame is very different to the frame I had on my previous TR6

It has no back plate and the top only attaches to the rear panel by way of the press studs on the soft top itself. My TR6 frame screwed to the rear panel and the soft top was fixed to this rame

The TR5 frame also has no webbing, although it appears to have the holes (although they don't appear to have ever been used) where the webbing would be fixed

As the car was originally a surrey top (long since missing) it wouldn't surprise me if this was completely the wrong soft top frame. I just can't be sure.

Does anyone have any pictures as to what a TR5 frame should look like, how it should attach to the rear panel etc, also if this isn't a TR5 frame, does anyone know what it might be (I am thinking 4 or 4A)

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Andy

Hi Johnny

Thanks for that it will give me a good reference to compare against

After trolling through manuals and the always brilliant Original Triumph TR I have figured out that:

1. It is in fact a proper TR5 hood frame, I have no webbing and the webbing points on the frame have never been used

2. The rear retainer bar is missing, hence why the top simply clips to the rear panel rather than having anything more substantial in the way of a rear fixing

I will put an order through Moss tonight for all the bits that I need, oh well - another wait for express postage to Oz!

Thanks heaps for the quick response

Andy

On a soft top original fitment,there would be captive nuts on the raised part of the rear deck.I guess you do not have these as a Backlight (surrey) has studs which locate into the holes in the rear deck.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :rolleyes::unsure:;)

Harry, sorry to be a pain, but you don't happen to have a photo of the rear panel as it would be for a soft top do you ?

Cheers

Andy