Refurbishing window regulator

I have a TR4 and during my rebuild noticed the teeth on the regulator big spocket are worn and so is the little spocket driven by the winding handle. I have read a number of threads on our website as well as others, looked at the technicalities CD all to no avail. Suggestion range from cutting a new spocket, putting plobs of weld to create new teeth or buy a new one. Well i understand that replacement regulators are either poor quality or very expensive so i have been thinking of uasing a doner regulator (i happen to have a spitfire one) to create a refurbished unit. Has anyone done this or can tell me of a source for the information? BTW if anyone has a drivers door regulator that is gathering dust in a shed, I would be interested...

Huey

I believe Moss and the TR Shop have very recently got supplies in, however I have no idea what standard they have been made to- about £50 each I think.

I believe Moss and the TR Shop have very recently got supplies in, however I have no idea what standard they have been made to- about £50 each I think.

I reserve judgement on the repros as the one I am about to send back has too short a spigot for the handle. Although this may be a one off as the rest of it seems pretty good :(

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Ive mig welded up the teeth on the quadrant successfully in the past - lots of filling needed to get it right, but usually only 3 or 4 duff teeth

Regards

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Using a spitfire regulator as a donner that is similiar but not indentical to the TR4 unit - I have managed to cut out the worn teeth and weld a section of the spitfire spocket into the cutout section. I also took the small spocket from the spitfire and replaced that too, again this is slightly different but easy to convert. By the way, the spitfire spocket has the same tooth size and pitch, but the spocket is slightly smaller hence the reason not to swap the whole spocket over. Luckly when i took the passenger regulator out this didn`t have much wear but was very stiff. I soaked the whole unit in white spirit, then lubed with copper grease. It runs freely now. Thanks for help chaps.