gearbox leak

Any advice on gearbox leak

Is it nessecary to take it out to repair

Thanks in advance

Hi Bludub,

Welcome to the forum.

You will probably find most gearboxs will mark their territory. But it does depend how much of a leak you have, can leak fom drain plug or fill plug, easy to sort, or top cover easy to sort but have to remove fibreglass tunnel. However if from front , gearbox out .

Or could even come from your overdrive drain plug.

Oil leaks can be hard to locate sometimes, unless its obvious i would clean the area, take car fo a spin to warm up and have a look.

Hope this helps

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

To add to front gearbox seal

Sometimes it can be difficult to differentiate between a front box leak, or oil leaking from elsewhere on the enginea nd blowing back under gearbox.

Under the front of the box in the bellhousing is a hole, put a wick of some sort in there that way if the top of the wick has oil on it , you have a front oil seal leak.

Worked for me.

Regards

Guy

Any advice on gearbox leak

Is it nessecary to take it out to repair

Thanks in advance

Mine appeared to be leaking from the plate on the overdrive, to which the solenoid is attached ('A' type) . I've replaced gasket twice, but after a very brief respite, the oil still leaks, but not quite as much as previously. I've filled the gearbox with Penrite gear oil 30 which may be a bit thin and adding to the problem.

• 1 month later...
Mine appeared to be leaking from the plate on the overdrive, to which the solenoid is attached ('A' type) . I've replaced gasket twice, but after a very brief respite, the oil still leaks, but not quite as much as previously. I've filled the gearbox with Penrite gear oil 30 which may be a bit thin and adding to the problem.

I have a leak in the same place - I was about to replace the gasket but now I wonder if I will be wasting my time. Have you had any joy since your last post?

• 4 months later...

Hi All

I have a gearbox oil leak which appears to be coming from the selector shafts. I believe theres o rings there( been looking at manual) Are these easy to replace?

And, forgive my ignorance but, if the vent thingy is working then theres no pressure in the gearbox, does the oil get thrashed around that much as to push through the o rings?

Mark

Hi All

I have a gearbox oil leak which appears to be coming from the selector shafts. I believe theres o rings there( been looking at manual) Are these easy to replace?

And, forgive my ignorance but, if the vent thingy is working then theres no pressure in the gearbox, does the oil get thrashed around that much as to push through the o rings?

Mark

The O rings are relatively easy to replace although time consuming. The O rings can almost disintegrate as they age so do provide a small path for leakage.