TR3A restoration project. Questions

Hi TR’ers

I’m making progress with my TR3A ( post TS 60000) restoration project. I’m finishing with body work and its time to take care about other components. Could you give me some hints in following issues:

1. CROSS-TUBE Moss no. 106191 I can not find it in my part storage and I don’t know if it was installed in my car originally, but there are bracket on the chassis. Was it installed in every TR or it was extra tuning part. Its pretty easy to make, however I don’t have any details. Could anybody provide me geometry of the TR3A CROSS-TUBE?

2. Front brake calipers. Main are very rusty and the pistons are so corroded the is impossible to move them. Any suggestion who will rebuild them at reasonable charge??

3. Rear shock absorbers. Similar question about suggested rebuilding shop (TR shop London)?

4. What is the original color of radiator? Black or natural cooper??? I would appreciate photographs of original radiator. What about the hole for starting handle? Should I make it the new radiator ?

5. How to protect aluminum engine components against oxidation. E.g. I have shot blasted the intake manifold and it has a nice aluminum finish. What to do to have it looking like that forever??? Any special paint??

Marcin

Warsaw, POLAND

Hi TR’ers

I’m making progress with my TR3A ( post TS 60000) restoration project. I’m finishing with body work and its time to take care about other components. Could you give me some hints in following issues:

1. CROSS-TUBE Moss no. 106191 I can not find it in my part storage and I don’t know if it was installed in my car originally, but there are bracket on the chassis. Was it installed in every TR or it was extra tuning part. Its pretty easy to make, however I don’t have any details. Could anybody provide me geometry of the TR3A CROSS-TUBE?

2. Front brake calipers. Main are very rusty and the pistons are so corroded the is impossible to move them. Any suggestion who will rebuild them at reasonable charge??

3. Rear shock absorbers. Similar question about suggested rebuilding shop (TR shop London)?

4. What is the original color of radiator? Black or natural cooper??? I would appreciate photographs of original radiator. What about the hole for starting handle? Should I make it the new radiator ?

5. How to protect aluminum engine components against oxidation. E.g. I have shot blasted the intake manifold and it has a nice aluminum finish. What to do to have it looking like that forever??? Any special paint??

Marcin

Warsaw, POLAND

Marcin yes all TRs should have the cross tube fitted to take the loads from the suspension. Talk to TRshop about calipers and shock absorbers as they will do you a good deal and would also have a cross tube as well.

Radiators are all black and unless you are going for originality I wouldnt bother with the starting handle as it cuts down the number of cooling tubes.

To protect the finish on aluminum use a UV protective clear laquer.

Stuart.

Just to reinforce Stuart's response: the cross-tube is VITAL, as it prevents sideways movement of the suspension turrets and - in the worst scenario - collapse of a turret. Even under gentle motoring conditions, it ensures that your steering geometry is not upset.

I am sure Colin Matthews (CTM) can provide a replacement, should yours have gone missing.

Ian Cornish

• 2 weeks later...
Just to reinforce Stuart's response: the cross-tube is VITAL, as it prevents sideways movement of the suspension turrets and - in the worst scenario - collapse of a turret. Even under gentle motoring conditions, it ensures that your steering geometry is not upset.

I am sure Colin Matthews (CTM) can provide a replacement, should yours have gone missing.

Ian Cornish

Thanks a lot for your response. I've contacted TR Shop and probably rebuild absorbers there

Marcin