stiffness of front suspension

Hi All,

After around 4 days work and lots of cussing and swearing I have finally completed the refurbishment of my front suspension - Poly bushes, new trunnion bushes, new standard springs and gaz shocks.

The ride height is the same as before but the stiffness of the suspension is quite different to before. I have set the damping at around mid setting and now it is very stiff. Having nothing to bench mark it against other than my old knackered shocks before should it be really stiff ? Or should you be able to bounce the suspension like you do on an ordinary saloon car ?

Any tips or views greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy

did you make sure the suspension can move freely. New trunnion bushing kits tend to freeze the articulation, when torqued as per the brown bible. In that case the new metal bushes in the nylatron bushes are a few tenths too short. When you torque up the bolt, that fixes the wishbones to the trunnion, the clamping force goes through the nylatron, instead of the metal bush. I asked a machine shop to machine new bushes, that are slightly longer.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Both,

I have one of those cold sweats appearing, having re-read the brown book I think I may have installed the trunnion bushes wrong ?! I have installed two plastic half bushes in each side of the lower wishbones and then the 2 sleeves through. I Think that I have put the washers and o-rings in the right place. I have seen a picture in the brown book that shows bushes going through the actual trunnion ?? Can anybody please help and tell me the idiots guide of what order washers, O rings and bushes go in starting from the hex head on the bolt through to the castellated nut on the other side.

All help gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy,

If you have a Moss catalogue, have a look at page 114, it shows better how the parts go together than the Brown Manual, also tells you how many of each part you need which helps to explain how they go together. If you do not have a Moss catalogue, go to their website and enter one of the parts (say 142387) and you will see what I mean. Of course, you will do the same for each side of the trunion which is not shown. Patrick and Richard's posts worry me a little though as I have recently replaced all bushes.

I hope this helps.

Wyn

Jeremy,

If you have a Moss catalogue, have a look at page 114, it shows better how the parts go together than the Brown Manual, also tells you how many of each part you need which helps to explain how they go together. If you do not have a Moss catalogue, go to their website and enter one of the parts (say 142387) and you will see what I mean. Of course, you will do the same for each side of the trunion which is not shown. Patrick and Richard's posts worry me a little though as I have recently replaced all bushes.

I hope this helps.

Wyn

for what its worth apparently the lowest (softest) setting on adjustable shocks (Koni/Gaz et al) are equilavent to standard TR so youve set them hard anyway, have already been thru this and set mineto about 25% up on the standard, ie 25% from softest setting on the adjustables