Early ring gear in late engine

Just about to start rebuilding my engine and have found out why I have a bomb starter on a TR4. Somewhere in its history a flywheel with shrink on ring gear was used. My plan is to reuse the flywheel and ring gear and buy a replacement high torque starter for the early ring gear. I know these are good because I have one on the TR2. Does anyone know why I shouldn't do this? And then sell the bomb starter of course!

Just about to start rebuilding my engine and have found out why I have a bomb starter on a TR4. Somewhere in its history a flywheel with shrink on ring gear was used. My plan is to reuse the flywheel and ring gear and buy a replacement high torque starter for the early ring gear. I know these are good because I have one on the TR2. Does anyone know why I shouldn't do this? And then sell the bomb starter of course!

Cant see any reason why not.

Stuart.

Cant see any reason why not.

Stuart.

Nor can I, but you never know. I've bought a much later gear box (one with the magic vibration damper) so I guess it will pay to make sure the starter motor fixing holes are in the same place on the casing. The slight worry I have is the clutch. Some of the parts lists talk about compatibility with input shafts and I haven't really grasped what they're on about.