From the original Dutch (!) owners manual, translated into English: "pre 61: 5.50-15, post 61: 5.90-15 or Michelin-X 155-15"

Mine is on 165-15 (Vredestein) nowadays.

Volvo Amazon, Saab 96 and 99 and Volkswagen Beetle are on the same tires. It's worth shopping around for best offers from webshops for these cars (VW stuff tends to be a little cheaper than TR stuff...)

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

I used 4 new Michelins - 165 SR 15 for 43,000 miles between 1990 to 2001. These are on steel wheels. Then Springfield Kellys -165 R 15 which were very low cost but only lasted about 18,000 miles. Since then, I have been using Vredestein 165 R 15s. These are very reasonably prices. A TR3A friend from NJ has them and told me about them. Since I got them, I have told two other TR owners who are very satisfied.

About 5 years ago, they cost DC about 42.00 US$ each in New Jersey. Three yrars ago, I got 4 for $400 CDN (about 570 US$) and last year a friend in New York state paid about $100 each for four.

Overhere they can be found for 55 euros (75 US$) a piece. 55 euros is including 19% VAT. Considering the distance they have to travel, over the ocean, it's not that bad!

Some tyre stations (is that the word) overhere are even cheaper than the webshop tyre sellers! It pays to shop around. The cheap ones are mostly found outside urban areas.

Holland isn't a cheap country; Not for tourists, not for people living here. Inflation is very low: 1.6% ann., morgage rates are low: 4,5% for a 10 years fixed price (=same monthly payment for 120 months) But, as a result, prices of real estate are insane. The country is so small, that there are no remote areas where no-one wants to live, therefore, prices are high all over the country. As a result, young people can not afford to buy a house, even if their salary itself is generous enough. And as a result, a company has a lot of payments to make. So, we the customers have to pay a large amount for all kinds of work and labour. I seriously consider the restoration of my Sonett having done in Eastern Europe!

I sometimes compare prices of real estate between parts of the USA and Holland. "What can I buy when we sell our house..." I can not believe my eyes, sometimes!

But, according to USA-based Wired magazine, our DSL-internet connections are cheap! (7 euros a month, fast connection, no data limit is a standard price).

Sorry, getting off topic here, so I will stop.

Menno

I recently paid 145 Euros/piece for Vredestein Classic Sprint, but these are A quality. I was warned that many tyre Centres and On-line services tend to sell B Quality. There is also a considerable price gap between Vredestein Sprint and Classic Sprint which are completely different tyres.

Having driven around in more than 15 inches of water last july, I must say these rubbers are for sure water resistent and have a good grip in the wet :)

There is also a considerable price gap between Vredestein Sprint and Classic Sprint which are completely different tyres.

Yep, you are right. They are very different. E.g. look at he profile. I can recall that I had Classic Sprints (or better: 'Sprint' as they were called back then) on my first car: a 78 Honda Civic. Being a student and in the military service later on, I was not able to pay better tires... In those days, Vredestein was a good brand, but no an A-brand. In my view and that of my mates back then, the Sprints (later called 'Classic Sprint' when the tire now known as 'Sprint' was introduced) definitly not. The Sprints of that era were old fashioned. Everybody wanted the Michelin X and higher (XZX, XAS etc.) I, for one, could not afford Michelins.

I must say that the Vredesteins of that day did their job perfectly. The Honda was my everyday car for over two years and I covered about 80.000 kms with the car, using 6 tires in total (switched them from front to back, bought new ones at the front).

Nowadays, Vredestein is sponsor of several Classic Car Events in Holland. The Winter Trial, The Historic Tulip Rallye and they also attend the National Concours d' Elegance. From a marketing point of view, they make the Classic Sprint again, using modern materials for a classic looking tire. And their prices are (imho) also a marketing strategy. I don't think that there's any harm in that: it a good tire and for a classic car owner, this tire completes the restoration. Having said that, I'm very happy with my 'modern looking' Sprint.

(btw: I'll keep you posted about the Concours d'Elegance; it's worth a visit!)

Regards,

Menno