Hood frame design

Just adding a reply to the 'Hood Design' thread got me thinking about this one.

There's a gap of some 3-5mm between the top of the windows and the seals on the hood frame on my car. The wndow channel felts have been replaced so the glass sits properly & the window channels themselves been adjusted as far a possible, the fit between the front on the windows and the windscreen surround is fine.

So my question is, is this gap at the top typical?

Any suggestions for further adjustment? I'm thinking of turning the screw holes in the seal retaining channels into keyhole like slots so the channels can be moved in and out slightly until a more wind and watertight seal is achieved. Another alternative would be to use a different profile of rubber seal altogether, modern roadsters seem to use sponge rubber extrusions which have more 'give'.

Anyone got any thoughts on these ideas?

I'm thinking of turning the screw holes in the seal retaining channels into keyhole like slots so the channels can be moved in and out slightly until a more wind and watertight seal is achieved.

Another alternative would be to use a different profile of rubber seal altogether, modern roadsters seem to use sponge rubber extrusions which have more 'give'.

Anyone got any thoughts on these ideas?

Mark,

I did exactly that , sloted the channels to allow the rubbers to touch the glass. I do agree with you on your idea of a different softer rubber profile, its just finding a suitable one, may be Wollies (not woolworths) might be worth a try.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Thanks for your reply Guy,

I've used Woolies before for furflex door seals. They were the only company who could readily supply them in beige.

Having been through their catalogue none of their items seem to have the correct profile. However, I may look out for their stall at some of the shows this summer & obtain some samples to see if something could be modified to fit.