6" wide wheels on a TR4?

Guest james67
I have a 1964 TR4 with stock steel wheels and I want to put wire wheels on it. My question is whether there are any technical issues or clearance problems with using 6" wide TR250 wheels on a TR4? The tires are 195/65R15, which will fit on the wider wheels.

Thanks for your help!

Well Doug I will be watching this one with interest I am looking to replac my wheels on my 1967 TR4a and was favouring a set of wheels from MWS model no XW5720.

Regards James

Hi Doug,

I have 5.5j centre laced 70 spoke wires with 165 tyres and they stay within the wings at the top. I believe the centre laced wires have a fair bit of offset.

Your 6" idea with the 195's may be a bit problematic. Check out the offset. Also from another posting does your body fit evenly over the wheels. If the body is more one way then the other the bigger wheels/tyres may accentuate the problem if it exists.

Roger

I have 6X15 superlites on my 4 with 195/65 on the front and 205/65 on the back. The front tyres do poke out a tiny bit but the backs are fine. I have had no problems with tyres rubbing and my suspension is lowered 25mm all round. I dont think wheels and tyres this size would suit someone looking for an original look but I was after something that looked a bit beefier. I dont know the offset on these wheels but I was lucky enough to know the guy I bought the wheels from and he was willing to let me do a trial fit before buying.

I have a 1964 TR4 with stock steel wheels and I want to put wire wheels on it. My question is whether there are any technical issues or clearance problems with using 6" wide TR250 wheels on a TR4? The tires are 195/65R15, which will fit on the wider wheels.

Thanks for your help!

I've had 195 65 R15s on my TR4. Fitted to 70spoke wires and had no problem - although i wonder if such wide tyres put a starin on the drivetrain??

I'm now replacing these with Minlites and 185/70/15's

Mal