Thermostat - original type

Sean, As far as I'm aware, unless re manufactured recently the sleeve type thermostat to which you refer are no longer made, and hence the TR suppliers can't supply original ones. You do see them from time to time at autojumbles and I have seen a few for sale at the International weekend for the last few years. Other car makes used the sleeve type thermostat so they do turn up in none triumph areas of autojumbles, but they tend to go for about 3 times the price of a modern replacement. I have managed to get one for my 4 so I'm sure you'll find one eventually.

Regards

Trevor.

Hi all, just out of interest what does the thermostat with the skirt do differently to the one you get now? regards nick.

Nick the skirt covers the water pump bypass outlet when hot and open giving correct water flow for the water pump through the thermostat .

Stuart.

Moss in the US sells the original type thermostat for $45. I have one in my TR4.

With the plug in the bypass pipe, the engine will take longer to reach engine temperature. I have one installed but I only drive my TR3A in the warm summer months. If you are planning to drive your TR in cooler weather, the original sleeved thermostat would be advisable with no plug in the by-pass pipe or hose. I drilled a small 3/16" diameter hole in the brass plug I installed to allow the air to rise out the system when doing a total re-fill with coolant.