Help - newly rebuilt PI system won't start

Hi Dusty, I have encountered similar poor running on a friends 6 and found two things wrong, firstly the rotor arm had a hardly visible crack and was replaced with one of Martin Jays excellent items, (see add in Tr Action for Distributor Doctor).Then not long after the problem retured and it was the condenser, these are so cheap it pays to replace it anyway.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

I have Replaced, points, condenser, cap , arm, leads already! Pretty sure it is down to slightly worn spindles and the daft throttle linkage!

Just reading through this thread again; you seem to have replaced practically everything but your problem doesn’t seem to be improving much. Air leaks in the throttles & condition of the linkage will affect idle & initial pick up but once your up to around 1800 RPM it won’t really matter that much.

One of your posts mentions numbers 1 & 6 not fully contributing have you done a compression test recently? Have you checked the condition/leaks of the vacuum tube from the manifold to the top of the M/U; The PI system requires good vacuum to operate correctly & if this is low it will be all over the place.

• 3 weeks later...

At last. It runs correctly.

I had managed to cure all the running problems except the pick up from idle. After re-examining the throttle butterflys and checking the flow with a carb balancer, I came to the conclusion that the linkage was hopeless, and bought a set of 150 manifolds and linkage on eBay.

A clean up session (outside only, left all the deposits inside)

enginetr61.jpg

Fitted to the car and synchronised

enginetr62.jpg

What a difference, the car will now idle as low as 500 rpm (though I have it set to 750) and picks up very well. No more black smoke, even on reving from a period of idle.

Exciting You tube video of the engine running!

A big thanks to all those who contributed to this thread thumbup.gif

Cheers

Jon

Edited by DustyM

The tappets are very slightly loose, Thats intentional, as originally I suspected that the clearance was too tight meaning some valves where not closing fully when up to temp.

I will run it for a while then reset them. Have you used one of those tappet click adjusters instead of feeler gauges before?