Auto TR6???

Got a friend who has a disability and can only drive an auto, does anyone know if its possible to put an auto box from a Pi saloon into a TR6.

I have heard of it being done a couple of times . I have no direct knowledge but it should be a straight swap although the gearbox cover may need adjusting .

Hi,

There is an article in the Triumph World magazine from June / July 1999 of such a conversion. The main problems encountered were that in the Triumph 2000/2500 saloon which is where the auto box came from the engine is canted over at 15 degrees. When this box is used in conjunction with the TR6 setup it is the auto box which will be canted over at 15 degrees to the left. In the article this was found to work to their benefit in that it allowed the exhaust room to get past. The auto box is also shorter and needs the prop shaft to be modified and lengthened and special gearbox mounts had to be made to mount the box to the chassis. In their case an adaptor plate had also to be made to suit the TR6 crankshaft/flywheel arrangement, the auto shift linkage also had to be adapted, a modified gearbox tunnel had to be fabricated to suit the wider auto box and a kick down arrangement had to be made up. All of these issues were found to be surmountable and to answer your question it is possible and has been done before. Send me an email using my address below and I will send you a scan of the article by return.

Happy New Year

Derek

saffrontr@tiscali.co.uk

I believe such a conversion was made to the TR of the late Dave "Lightning" Brown, but I have no details. Dave suffered, in later life, with severe leg problems.

Ian Cornish