Brake piping

Whilst trying to unbolt the electric fan which has mysteriously become jammed against the rad, my mind is still on the topic of my TR's ineffectual brakes, and I contemplate the new copper brake piping, a legacy of the previous owner.

And the master cylinder with its not understood 'tipping valve', nothing to do with rewarding doormen I suppose.

And I ask myself, is this right?

Given that the two 'sides' of the master cylinder presumably differ in some way, such that it matters which side is connected to the front brakes and which to the rear.

And I have little faith in the dear chap having piped them correctly.

So I distract myself from the task of undoing rusty bolts, and check the brake piping illustrations in Shop manual and Parts book, and I am not enlightened.

Especially as they show the five-way American connector thingy which my car mercifully lacks.

So, to come to the point.... the rear of the master cylinder is connected to the front brakes.

Is this right please?

Ivor

Whilst trying to unbolt the electric fan which has mysteriously become jammed against the rad, my mind is still on the topic of my TR's ineffectual brakes, and I contemplate the new copper brake piping, a legacy of the previous owner.

And the master cylinder with its not understood 'tipping valve', nothing to do with rewarding doormen I suppose.

Given that the two 'sides' of the master cylinder presumably differ in some way, such that it matters which side is connected to the front brakes and which to the rear.

So I distract myself from the task of undoing rusty bolts, and check the brake piping illustrations in Shop manual and Parts book, and I am not enlightened.

Especially as they show the five-way American connector thingy which my car mercifully lacks.

So, to come to the point.... the rear of the master cylinder is connected to the front brakes.

Is this right please?

Ivor

Yes, the rear section feeds the front brakes. On my car the brake pipes from the master cylinder criss-cross on the way to the PWDA (a four way thingy with a shuttle and a switch that detects if one of the circuits has lost pressure).

Stan

Is this right please?

Ivor

Yes the small front reservoir/cylinder is for the rear brakes....I was surprised to find that the reservoir needs to be brimfull and on level ground to ensure that the front section will get filled OK....no wonder the original bulkhead rotted out with overflow/spillage...I used silicone fluid.

john

Thankyou.

At least that's one thing on the car that's right.

:mellow:

Ivor