tribute to sill fixers

I would like to pay tribute to all those who have remade and repaired rusted out sills at the base of the 'B' post. (and in advance to those in the TR5 forum, who look as though they are going to have do it.)

The conjunction of several panels, plus the shape changes that occur in the area, make it very hard to picture what the final result should look like; the usefulness of the diagram in the parts manual is almost in the 'hip pocket on a singlet' category. The only picture I have found so far that helps is in Adrio Taucer's blog on his wife's TR4A repair. Reproducing it in sheet metal is another matter.

To those who paid to have it done and whinged about the cost, you got off lightly. I personally now think that panel beaters are underpaid.

Sorry, no Kewpie doll for those who can guess at what stage of the repairs I am at, at the moment.

Ahhh that Tooheys Blue tastes good.

Thanks for that Jim as I will be doing just that little job in a few weeks time on a 5 I have in for restoration at the moment.

Stuart.

When I restored my 1958 TR3A from 1987 to 1990, I replaced the floors and all 4 sills. The outer sills were repros, bent on a 90° brake press. I had to take a rubber mallet to the inside before MIG welding them into place so they would have the correct curve to match the ever-so-little curve in my original doors. I also had to curve this a bit in the vertical direction too. Also the sill was too short and I had to add a 3/4" long piece of sheet metal to make it long enough. Oh Yes, another point, the curve to clear the swinging open door where the front of the sills are welded to the bottom of the "A" posts was not enough and I had to work on this too.

I don't know much about TR4 or TR5 sills, but these may be some points to watch for.